120 volt pool light

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
See picture per 680.23B(2)b i believe a #8 insulated conductor needs ran to the forming shell in the pvc conduit with the hot neutral and equipment ground.

Am I reading this correctly ? Is there a forming shell that is plastic and does not require the #8 and bonding conductor

Attachments

• Light and shell.jpg
    Light and shell.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 16

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You are reading correctly + the connection in the shell must be encapsulated with a listed potting compound,.
There are forming shells that are "plastic" but within the plastic there is a conductive path from the connection to the threads for the lamp retaining ring so don;t let the "plastic" look fool you.

dm9289

Occupation
You are reading correctly + the connection in the shell must be encapsulated with a listed potting compound,.
There are forming shells that are "plastic" but within the plastic there is a conductive path from the connection to the threads for the lamp retaining ring so don;t let the "plastic" look fool you.
Thank you

dm9289

Occupation
All pool lights should be low voltage. It's easy to upgrade, just go to your pool supply wholesale house. They have many options for LED lighting without risks of electrocutions.
I agree pool company and customer decision"much cheaper"

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
See picture per 680.23B(2)b i believe a #8 insulated conductor needs ran to the forming shell in the pvc conduit with the hot neutral and equipment ground.

Am I reading this correctly ? Is there a forming shell that is plastic and does not require the #8 and bonding conductor
In a plastic wet niche, there is bond lug on the inside and one on the outside. The inside lug must have potting compound on it. The #8 wire is in the conduit used for the light fixture which runs to a deck box.

I only use nicheless LED lights 12V for new builds and renovations. I'll remove wet niches and convert over. Been probably 15+ years since we put in a wet niche light.