120V between Neutral and Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinK

New User
Occupation
engineer
Hi,

We have a room where my in-law mistakenly plugged in too many heating appliances over the circuit capacity continuously for some time (maybe weeks during the past winter) and all of the sudden we lost power to half the outlets in that room (the other half connects to other circuit). The following are findings around it:
1. the breaker never tripped.
2. the same circuit is supplying electricity to the lighting fixtures in the bathroom right next - so there's power being supplied from the breaker for that circuit. When I turn off the power from the breaker, the lighting goes out as well as no electricity detected at all in the receptacles.
3. when all non-working receptacles were opened to check, I found ~120V between hot and ground (normal) as well as ~120V between neutral and ground in ALL of them. The working outlets in other rooms, in comparison, shows no voltage between neutral and ground.
4. Around the same time, we realize the door bell stopped working, too (could be connected to the same circuit or just a coincidence?)
5. GFCIs around the house were all reset - didn't resolve the issue.

Any suggestions to further troubleshoot the issue is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would suggest you call a qualified residential electrician. With that said...........

I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs. Engineers are welcome to participate, but only if their questions do not involve attempts to perform their own electrical installation, troubleshooting, or maintenance work.

If I have misread the situation, if for example you have an electrical contractor on board to perform the installation work, then send me a message via the "Start Conversion" button to explain the circumstances.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I would suggest you call a qualified residential electrician. With that said...........

I am closing this thread in accordance with forum rules. This forum is intended for use by electricians and electrical contractors, inspectors, engineers, and vendors with their job-related duties. We are not allowed to provide how-to advice to persons who are not employed in this industry, or persons who do not perform electrical installation or maintenance as part of their jobs. Engineers are welcome to participate, but only if their questions do not involve attempts to perform their own electrical installation, troubleshooting, or maintenance work.

If I have misread the situation, if for example you have an electrical contractor on board to perform the installation work, then send me a message via the "Start Conversation" button to explain the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.