120v control problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackburn

I've got a 3 phase mag starter that runs on 120v coil with a stop/start station. Off of this stop/start I need to run a on delay relay that turns a solinoid on, then when you push the stop, this solinoid needs to close and the motor needs to run on a off/delay relay. The problem I have is seperating this on and off delay. Do I need a aux. contact on the starter to seperate these two relays so one will turn off the solinoid and the other will run the motor for the additional 30 seconds.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: 120v control problem

What I would do is build a separate enclosure with the required relay logic and delay timers to do what you want to do. This would interface with the start/stop station, the motor starter and the solenoid. If I'm reading your explanation right, what you want to do is going to require more than just an auxiliary contact on the starter and you are going to need a place to install other relays.

blackburn

I have the on delay and off delay timers installed in a seperate can. the trouble i'm having is when the off is pushed how do you keep the motor on the off delay relay w/o starting the whole seq. again. in other words when the starting coil and n/o contacts are closed the relay for the on delay comes on also

bennie

Esteemed Member

If you don't resolve this on the board, send me an email and I'll give you my address to mail me the schematic diagram. There is no control system that I can't design.

There I go probably eating shoe leather again :roll:

jtb

I am with Bennie on this one. :D

A sketch would help here.

Have you tried using the N/C contacts...

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

Don't use a "normally closed" stop button contact. Use a normally open contact on the stop button to control the "off delay" timer. An open contact (NOTO) from the timer can then be wired in parallel with the normal control contact (just like a holding circuit interlock).

Of course you may want to have an E-Stop in front of everything in order to trun the motor off immediately.

Ed MacLaren

Here are a couple of circuits that I think will work, if I understand correctly what you need to accomplish.

Circuit A provides for "push button" E-Stop.
Circuit B will do if your Off-delay relay has an instantaneous (non-timed) contact, and you don't need the push button E-Stop feature.

Ed

MotCon3.gif

MotCon4.gif

bob

[BDo I need a aux. contact on the starter to seperate these two relays so one will turn off the solinoid and the other will run the motor for the additional 30 seconds.
B]
Dwg B
The drawings looks great. Stop button is pushed T1 and T2 begins the timed cycle. He wants the motor to run 30 seconds after the Sol relay is denergized. It sounds like T1 need to have additional 30 sec longer that T2. I like Dwg B better. It is less to built and simpler to follow
and only one Stop Button involved. After reading the post again it sounds like he wants the sol denergized as soon as he hits the off button. If so a time delay not required. I may be reading this incorrectly

[ July 07, 2003, 01:55 PM: Message edited by: bob ]

Ed MacLaren

The way I read it, he wants the the motor to start when the start button is pressed, and the solenoid to be energised after a time delay. The on-delay relay does this.

When the stop button is pressed, he wants the solenoid to be de-energised, and the motor to continue to run for 30 secs, as per the timing chart below.

blackburn, does that sound like what you want?

Ed

MotCon5.gif

bob

Ed
After reading your thoughts I agree that you circuit will do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.