120v & low voltage thru bored holes in frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to hear from AHJ in your area concerning low voltage such as door bell, thermostat, catv etc lines installed in framing members like 2x4, steel studs etc. Mike holt figure 820-24, shows you can. Nec says to maintain I believe 2" unless devided by a barrier. Many are confused on this point.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Look close at the seperation rules in the low voltage articles. If the power conductors are in NM, no seperation is required.
725.55 (J) Other Applications For other applications, conductors of Class 2 and Class 3 circuits shall be separated by at least 50 mm (2 in.) from conductors of any electric light, power, Class 1 non–power-limited fire alarm or medium power network-powered broadband communications circuits unless one of the following conditions is met:
(1) Either (a) all of the electric light, power, Class 1, non–power-limited fire alarm and medium power network-powered broadband communications circuit conductors or (b) all of the Class 2 and Class 3 circuit conductors are in a raceway or in metal-sheathed, metal-clad, non–metallic-sheathed, or Type UF cables.
Don

Last edited:
What would one do in a tele./ power pole? We always see a seperation in the "poles" whereby 120v and data/comm lines are in seperate compartments within 1 power pole. Cable trays are also seperated. How about the same combination within 1 raceway, i.e. e.m.t., sealtite etc.
Your thoughts?

B.S.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Bill,
Those other applications require seperation. The application you asked about in your first post does not require seperation per the NEC.
Don

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Don. Power poles generally have individual conductors such as THHN installed within them for the power applications not cables. Conductors require the separation, jacketed cables do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.