120V to 24V power supply switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattS87

I am installing a 120V to 24vdc power supply for some safety strobe lights. The line side with come from a receptacle circuit where the receptacle is 4' off the ground. The power supply will be mounted about 20-25' off the ground on a steel column. The lights are controlled via a s.p switch at ground level to alert forklift traffic of pedestrians. Does anyone see an issue with switching the 120V to the power supply to accomplish this vs. switching the 24V? I ask because running one conduit would much easier than 2 but not sure if it would adversely affect the p.s.

JFletcher

I do not see an operational issue with switching the primary or 120 volts side. Safety-wise you may want it hard wired or even on a battery backup. You don't want the plug falling out of the receptacle, getting accidentally knocked out, or somebody unplugging it to run an extension cord or whatever and leaving you with no pedestrian warning. For the same reasons I think I would include a battery backup

MattS87

I do not see an operational issue with switching the primary or 120 volts side. Safety-wise you may want it hard wired or even on a battery backup. You don't want the plug falling out of the receptacle, getting accidentally knocked out, or somebody unplugging it to run an extension cord or whatever and leaving you with no pedestrian warning. For the same reasons I think I would include a battery backup

It will definitely be hardwired, not cord and plug connected. Around here anything that can be hit by a forklift probably has. Including one of the metal columns a couple months back

Status
Not open for further replies.