125% ocpd calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
Why would you size a ocpd at 125% after sizing conductors at 125%? Dont you size the ocpd to 100%(continous) of the calculated conductor load (125%+100%)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Why would you size a ocpd at 125% after sizing conductors at 125%? Dont you size the ocpd to 100%(continous) of the calculated conductor load (125%+100%)
most circuit breakers are not designed for 100% continuous load and might trip.

i don't know what you mean by "125%+100%".

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
If you sized the conductor at 125% continous load and the breaker is sized to that wire size isnt the ocd sized to 100% of the calculated load of 125

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If you sized the conductor at 125% continous load and the breaker is sized to that wire size isnt the ocd sized to 100% of the calculated load of 125
i am not quite sure what you are trying to get at.

sizing of the conductors for the required ampacity is similar to but not the same as sizing the OCPD for the calculated load.

Djelite

Occupation
Electrician
You dont size the wire at 125 percent then size the ocd at 125 percent too , right?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Say 40A continuous load and 50A non-continuous
Then 100A ampacity of conductors
And 100A breaker (not 125A)

Cheers, Wayne
I am not sure what the OP is getting at. If I had a panel with 40 A continuous loads, AND 50 A non-continuous loads, I think I would do more than 100 A, just because I don't want to get caught short on capacity when the customer wants to add something.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I am not sure what the OP is getting at. If I had a panel with 40 A continuous loads, AND 50 A non-continuous loads, I think I would do more than 100 A, just because I don't want to get caught short on capacity when the customer wants to add something.
My reading is that the OP was concerned that the breaker should be 125A in my example, which is not correct.

Future headroom is a separate, design issue.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.