125v twistlock splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonelectric

I am on the stage crew at school, and the lighting fixtures connect to the stage dimmer circuits using 125 volt 3 pin twist lock connectors. While cleaning out an old shelf we discovered several "Y" type splitters, having one 3 pin 20A 125v twist lock at one end, using 12-3 cable, to a factory made splitter, with more 12-3 coming out of it, one cable for each female 20A twist lock connector. Another kid on the stage crew said that the gauge of the wire used was not big enough to handle a 20A load. The UL logo was stamped onto the splitter and I tried to explain that the wire was big enough to handle the load, and even if the load did grow bigger than 20A, the circuit breaker on the dimmers would shut off before then, however he proceeded to disassemble the perfectly good (and expensive) splitters. Am I right in saying that this cord was legal? It would have been used to provide power to (2) 500 watt fixtures.

mhulbert

Re: 125v twistlock splitter

Well, do the math. Remember that Watts = Volts * Amps, so

1000= 125 * A
A= 8

This is well within the 20 Amps that you can put on a 12 gauge wire (see table 400-5(A)). These are used all the time in theater, commonly called a "2-fer". Works great with backwash lights, symetrical sets of lights, etc. Just make sure your dimmer can handle it!
Mike

bensonelectric

Our stage lighting consists of 10 2.4Kw 3-phase 12 channel dimmers. Each channel with its own 20A circut. Plenty 0' power for a school. :D Thanks :D

mhulbert

So you have 120 channels of dimming? Seems like a lot for a school, unless it's a huge theater.

What kind of dimming racks are you running? I always liked ETC, lots of features and their tech support really knows whats going on.

[ December 10, 2004, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: mhulbert ]

bensonelectric

110, for some reason the last channel isnt used... Its a big theatre, 1700 seats. Dimming system is from Electronics Diversified. Dimmers are 3rd generation SCRimmers, which were state of the art about 20 years ago.. I personally thing its time for an update, but the bid is just to high for the school right now :p

Status
Not open for further replies.