12v DC transformer for #10 wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

tallguy

Anyone have any experience using large gauge wire for 12v DC?

Dealing with an old solar system that used #10 wire. Solar has been replaced with 120v AC, but want to retain existing DC infrastructure via a transformer. Anyone know of a 120v AC to 12v DC transformer that would accomodate #10 wire? This is an odd problem I think...

gar

Occupation
EE
080413-0905 EST USA

Your question is not clear.

Generally one does not talk about a DC transformer although in the generic broad sense of the word it probably applies.

Two major things about wire. The size, #10, relates to current capacity, while insulation and environment may alter that rating to a lower value.

The insulation and environment will determine maximum operating voltage.

If your referenced #10 wire was originally used to supply a load that required pure DC, meaning low ripple, at about 12 V and some load current within the wire rating, and you now want to now supply that load from a power supply derived from the 120 VAC, then you need to also ask the question what min-max DC voltage is allowable at the load.

If the regulation does not need to be very good, then an isolation transformer, about 10 V secondary, a bridge rectifier, and filter cpacitor should work. 10*1.414 = 14.1, subtract 1.8 for the bridge, and you get 12.3. This is only a rough calculation. If you assume a 95 to 135 posssible input variation, then that is a +12 to -21% variation relative to 120 V nominal. This pecentage variation will directly map to the secondary. To this you add maybe 10% variation due to load changes.

If you need good reglation relative to load and line, then you need a regulated power supply.

If the ouput load regulation is satisfactory with the unregulated transformer, rectifier, capacitor supply, but the line variation is a problem, then you could consider a Sola type line regulator.

You have not mentioned current or power levels.

tallguy

gar said:
Your question is not clear.
Not the first time! :smile:
gar said:
You have not mentioned current or power levels.
I won't have the load determined until I get a chance to see the place, some time in the summer. I'm just trying to determine if there is a product that provides a reasonable way to land a #10 wire on any "generic" transformer:
272-12-45.jpg

Obviously, the terminals on these are not designed to land a #10, and since the entire DC wiring of the place already has #10 in place...

The short version of a long story is that there was an entire solar system in place, that has been removed entirely, and the DC receptacles and devices are lying dormant. I'll either figure out a way to hook it into the AC system, or it will need to be ripped out (which would be a shame).

gar

Occupation
EE
080416-0753 EST USA

tallguy:

Do you want 12 VDC to be distributed to the receptacles?

If so, then a standard transformer does not provide DC. This means you need some sort of DC power supply.

The question of terminations from #10 wire to the transformer terminals is a matter of finding a suitable crimp or other lug or terminal block.

The wire size coming from the transformer does not need to be #10. An allowable size will depend upon current, acceptable voltage drop of a short length from the transformer to termination with the #10, and acceptable temperature rise of the short wire.

There are several ways to build an AC input DC output power supply. As I previously mentioned you need to define your load requirements. Min and max allowed voltage, and max current.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If the loads consist of 10 volt incandescent lighting then there is no reason to use DC and a step down transformer will actually suffice. What 10 volt devices are there? What normally would be powered by the receptacles?

-Hal

Last edited:

HighWirey

tallguy said:
Anyone have any experience using large gauge wire for 12v DC?

Dealing with an old solar system that used #10 wire. Solar has been replaced with 120v AC, but want to retain existing DC infrastructure via a transformer. Anyone know of a 120v AC to 12v DC transformer that would accomodate #10 wire? This is an odd problem I think...

It seems that you need to restate your OP.

What do you want?

Please restate your OP to my fifth grade level.

Status
Not open for further replies.