12V NEC Class 2 Supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcookson

I have application where I need to have both 12VDC and 24VDC class II circuits for an industrial control panel powered by a DC ups. I can find 24V output class 2 DC converters all day long, but cannot find anything listed for 12V. If I have a 24-12V step-down converter after a 24 DC class 2 converter am I covered or does the potential for energy storage in the 24->12V converter cause me to need a 12V device that is specifically listed for Class 2. If I need such a listed device can anyone recommend a reliable one. My typical vendors (Phoenix, Siemens, PULS) all seem to come up empty.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO the 24>12 volt converter must be listed CL2 also. Can't help you with a vendor though.

-Hal
Part of the point of using CL2 stuff is that it limits the potential issues downstream. Everything downstream of a CL2 power supply is part of the CL2 circuit. I would vote no need for it to be CL2 if you could find such a thing.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Part of the point of using CL2 stuff is that it limits the potential issues downstream. Everything downstream of a CL2 power supply is part of the CL2 circuit. I would vote no need for it to be CL2 if you could find such a thing.

Well, that assumes that every 24>12v power supply would be used behind a CL2 24v source. That's not going to always happen so I' stickin' to my story.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.