12volt RV lighting in a Building

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

A client has requested that I connect KaperII LED RV Lights to a 12 volt battery charging system intended to be charged through an solar collector to be able to live off the Grid in a Home. She is an Designer that likes the Appearance of the Lights with an reasonable price on sale. In Canada I am searching for CSA or comparable approval for the items bought in Canada, but no documents so far... Anyone do a similar installation? I plan to run 2 conductor #12awg FT4 cable through the Log Home, but curious if butt splicing (like a car) is an acceptable means to connect DC to the LED Lights in a Building other than an RV without a junction box?

thanks for any feedback in this situation!

...Wishes for a Happy Holiday Season!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Don't know about Canada but I'm sure it similar to here. It would all depend on the power supply class. CL3 and CL2 wiring does not require junction boxes. Anything else is class 1 and requires a class 1 wiring method. Nothing different than other LV or undercabinet lighting.

I have no idea what FT4 cable is.

-Hal

powerplay

It ended up that RV lights appear to be able to be installed into RV's withought approval, but to be installed into a Building .. the Authority having jurisdiction would require approval sticker... to sum it up no RV Lights in the Building

iwire

Staff member
It ended up that RV lights appear to be able to be installed into RV's withought approval, but to be installed into a Building .. the Authority having jurisdiction would require approval sticker... to sum it up no RV Lights in the Building

That would be the deal here as well.

Fixtures need to be listed.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Please review Art 720. this article dates back to when farmers where installing DC power plants in the 1930's.
While your system may be "low voltage" its not limited energy so you will be required to use a chapter 3 wiring method.

Status
Not open for further replies.