138 space switchgear

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP

Hello,We are in the process of getting a huge ground mount,poco is dropping a 1600 amp/480/277 service, we have 46 SE20kus@480,I know the 42 space max was done away in 2008, my question is is there a switchgear that will accommodate 46 3 pole breakers,no set of plans yet waiting on poco to give us a price on the new service just trying to get a head start thanks

Hello,We are in the process of getting a huge ground mount,poco is dropping a 1600 amp/480/277 service, we have 46 SE20kus@480,I know the 42 space max was done away in 2008, my question is is there a switchgear that will accommodate 46 3 pole breakers,no set of plans yet waiting on poco to give us a price on the new service just trying to get a head start thanks

Obviously I dont know any details, but my first impression is that it would be much simpler and more cost effective to have multiple sets of service entrance conductors feeding several smaller main breaker panelboards, say 2 800's or 4 400's

kwired

Electron manager
I also believe the 42 circuit rule was for what they used to call "lighting and appliance" panelboards, which were defined as having more then 10% of the branches supplying less then 30 amp line to neutral loads (or something very close to that). If the panelboard only supplied feeders or multipole branch circuits there would not have been a 42 circuit limitation, though it would also have been difficult to find a model with more then 42 circuits as there would have been little demand for them.

A switchboard would have been permitted more then 42 circuits anyway.

Also its worth considering that many times with systems like this the designer will put combiner panelboards throughout the array so you wouldnt need a space at the service equipment for every inverter. The last 1 meg I was on had 30 inverters and 10 combiner panelboards out in the array, so 10 feeders coming back. Each one of these went to its own "service" - they were all grouped but each had a different address and meter. Personally, my preference is to have less equipment and have it all in one location rather than scattered all over tarnation, but in my experience, most designers seem to think otherwise. You probably cant do much until you get them plans in your little paws.

Status
Not open for further replies.