15 amp receptacle tapped of 230 volt cicuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riograndeelectric

what artcile of the code allows to tap off an 230 volt 15 amp circiut feeding an AHU unit to feed a 110 volt outlet next to the AHU. I ran across this on a job I am working on where they ran a 14-3 Romex cable to a double switch to serve as disconnecting means for AHU and then tapped off 1 side of the 230 volt 15amp circuit to feed an Recpticel next to the AHU .

TOOL_5150

Riograndeelectric said:
what artcile of the code allows to tap off an 230 volt 15 amp circiut feeding an AHU unit to feed a 110 volt outlet next to the AHU. I ran across this on a job I am working on where they ran a 14-3 Romex cable to a double switch to serve as disconnecting means for AHU and then tapped off 1 side of the 230 volt 15amp circuit to feed an Recpticel next to the AHU .

Thats fine...

and its 120/240v. also it is spelled receptacle. :grin: :grin:

~Matt

Jerseydaze

tell a home owner receptacle let me know what kid of look you get while your at it install there luminaries oh and be sure and tell them about the grounding electrodes you will be installing on a service upgrade

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Riograndeelectric said:

Art. 210.23(A)(2) could possibly allow it. Given that a 14/3 was run I seriously doubt the unit was 50% or less of the circuit. IF... the unit amps was 7.5 or less then one could supply the recep. off one side of the line as long as there was a neutral present.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment Outlet.
A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.
As long as the OCPD is 15 amps, there is no issue with this installation. In many cases the #14 feeding the AC would have the OCPD rated higher than 15 amps and then you could not tap a #14 to the line side of that disconnect and run it to the required service receptacle.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Riograndeelectric said:
as long as they tapped it off the line side of the switch, I don't see a problem with it, assuming load calcs are ok.

Jerseydaze said:
tell a home owner receptacle let me know what kid of look you get while your at it install there luminaries oh and be sure and tell them about the grounding electrodes you will be installing on a service upgrade
Don't forget the lamps you're installing in the luminary outlets...;) :grin:
It gives some people a measure of confidence when a professional speaks using the technical terminology.;)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Rewire said:
I know that the required receptacle for outdoor A/C units is not allowed to be tapped from the disconnect

where in the code does it say that?

in any case, the OP said it was romex so it would not be outside anyway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think I was misreading the op's question. It sounds as if there is an indoor AHU and the receptacle is added next to the unit.

That would depend on another issue. What is that recep. used for? A central heating unit must be supplied by an individual branch circuit with 2 exceptions.

422.12 Central Heating Equipment.
Central heating equipment other than fixed electric space-heating equipment shall be supplied by an individual branch circuit.
Exception No. 1: Auxiliary equipment, such as a pump, valve, humidifier, or electrostatic air cleaner directly associated with the heating equipment, shall be permitted to be connected to the same branch circuit.
Exception No. 2: Permanently connected air-conditioning equipment shall be permitted to be connected to the same branch circuit.

Jerseydaze

Dummy this up for me I run a 14-3 RX to a 240v air handler 15 amp 2 pole breaker your saying I can tap out 120v for a recept for a condensation pump ect.Same circuit?

mxslick

Jerseydaze said:
Dummy this up for me I run a 14-3 RX to a 240v air handler 15 amp 2 pole breaker your saying I can tap out 120v for a recept for a condensation pump ect.Same circuit?

Yep, as long as the recept is tapped on the LINE side of the service disconnect. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.