1500W Incandescent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_picard

Hey folks,

Has anyone ever seen a 1500W incandescent light fixture? A customer says she found
it in an old mill and wants to use it in her workshop.
I've only seen pictures as of yet, it looks like a mogul based, oversized incandescent.
No ballast visible in pic so I don't think it's HID.

Is there such an animal, and if so where on earth would I find a replacement bulb?

Thanks,
Charles

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I suspect there is a ballast for the bulb either built into the bulb or in the fixture. Do you have any link or anything we can look at to get more info.

rt66electric

cool !!!!! I want one

cool !!!!! I want one

I have fixture that I "found" It looks like a stadium fixture and had a 750 watt and I replaced it w/1000 watt. It has a ext cord for a plugin and I stick the ugly thing out of the upstairs window when I need to work on cars at night. I purchased spare bulbs on Ebay

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Wow , that website has 277V bulbs that are a standard base. I wonder how many 120V bulbs would get screwed into that socket before someone realizes something is amiss.:grin:

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Wow I have a 1500 watt hallogen 240v in my shop but I never imagined a 1500w 120v Type A, Could you imagine someone putting that in a table lamp!

kwired

Electron manager
Hey folks,

Has anyone ever seen a 1500W incandescent light fixture? A customer says she found
it in an old mill and wants to use it in her workshop.
I've only seen pictures as of yet, it looks like a mogul based, oversized incandescent.
No ballast visible in pic so I don't think it's HID.

Is there such an animal, and if so where on earth would I find a replacement bulb?

Thanks,
Charles

Before HID became popular that is what was used in gymnasiums and other indoor large areas - outdoor was usually quartz - halogen flood lights. They have mogul bases and are available in different voltages and wattages.

There are compact fluorescent replacement lamps available for replacing these type of lamps also.

I would not install one of these fixtures in most cases. Lamps are going to be a little harder to find plus there are more energy efficient ways to light an area. If a nostalgic look is being considered that could be an exception. Something that gets limited use could also be an exception. For everyday use something more energy efficient will pay for itself in fairly short time.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a 1500w bulb in a glass-front cast-metal reflector housing. It came from a baseball stadium many years ago. It has a mogul base, and is 120v.

It takes about 15 seconds for the filament to stop glowing after you unplug it.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Before HID became popular that is what was used in gymnasiums and other indoor large areas - outdoor was usually quartz - halogen flood lights. They have mogul bases and are available in different voltages and wattages.

There are compact fluorescent replacement lamps available for replacing these type of lamps also.

I would not install one of these fixtures in most cases. Lamps are going to be a little harder to find plus there are more energy efficient ways to light an area. If a nostalgic look is being considered that could be an exception. Something that gets limited use could also be an exception. For everyday use something more energy efficient will pay for itself in fairly short time.

Yes they used incadecent staidium lights at Fenway Park till 1985 when they installed all new 1500watt metal halides.
when they shut down a bank of those incadecent staidium lights they would glow for almost a minute.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Keep in mind an incandescent lamp is a heater that gives off a small amount of light
For $20 you can purchase a 4 ft 2 lamp T-8 strip at a big box.
Is this lamp a double ended type?

A 1500W incandescent lamp is not that unusual in stage theater and projection. You still find them, although they are being phased out. I used one in a show last week actually. Try searching for ANSI code DKX. Yes it is a big lamp and uses an E39 (Edison Mogul) base/socket.

broadgage

Large incandescent lamps of this sort used to be common here in the UK, the base would be described as G.E.S. (goliath edison screw) but is called mogul in the USA.
The most common wattages were 500,750,1,000, and 1,500 watts.
Still used today, but not much.
Normally 240 volt, but also available up to 1,000 watts in 110 volts for fairgrounds and construction sites.
They even made a 50 volt version in 300 watts and 500 watts.

MNWildcat

we have used 208/240v 1000 or 1500W incan lamps for use in helipad flood lights for hospitals where we need instant on, generator supported lighting. Not ideal for sure, but it does do the job. They are also not used too much (hour wise).

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
I had been doing work for a client (who went on to rip me off ...) and I told them to pick up a couple of 1500 watt mogul base incandescents because they are useful for power testing solar gear.

Client completely ignored my advice, mis-configured system a few months later, had a catastrophic power failure, and lost several thousand dollars in the process. This was =after= they ripped me off. Karma is like that.

It was still good advice -- much safer to use as a dummy load than many of the alternatives and they actually make light!

Status
Not open for further replies.