15A devices on a 20A circuit - Commercial

Status
Not open for further replies.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
Hi guys, I am not use to doing small commercial where material is not spec'd out.

Small office and conference rm. I plan on doing a 20A circuit for the outlets, can they be 15 A rated devices?

I plan on putting the lighting and smoke detectors on the same 15 A circuit so I will obviously use 15 amp devices for that. You can have smokes and lighting on the same circuit right?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As long as you have more than one receptacle on a circuit the 15 amp receptacles are permitted on a 20 amp circuit. It's very common to put smoke alarms on the lighting circuit.

olly

Occupation
Master Electrician
As long as you have more than one receptacle on a circuit the 15 amp receptacles are permitted on a 20 amp circuit. It's very common to put smoke alarms on the lighting circuit.

Thank you! Especially for answering before the maintenance of this site. That just saved my butt a lot as I am working this weekend

Last edited by a moderator:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I've never seen "smoke detectors" in a commercial or industrial setting. I'm speaking of stand alone units. In a commercial setting, they are usually part of an alarm system with a control panel.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In a commercial setting, they are usually part of an alarm system with a control panel.
AND, that circuit should be specifically for that alarm system and identified as such in the breaker panel. Some municipalities require a breaker lock as well.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've never seen "smoke detectors" in a commercial or industrial setting. I'm speaking of stand alone units. In a commercial setting, they are usually part of an alarm system with a control panel.
Actually you have that backwards. Smoke Detectors get connected to a fire alarm panel. Smoke Alarms are self contained devices used for dwelling units.

Status
Not open for further replies.