16 gauge wire on led lights

Occupation
Mechanical Supervisor
First Post in the the group. I was told by our ANSI inspector that we could use 16/2 between our led lighting on a 10 amp breaker. We currently are running 14/2 on a 20 amp breaker. We are building tiny homes to ANSI standards, however we follow the NEC for the electrical. Anyone know what the NEC says on led, 16/2, or it being on a 10 amp breaker?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
#14/2 cannot be on a 20 amp circuit for your application. What code cycle are you on?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The first code that actually permits 10 amp branch circuits is the 2023. 210.18 in the 2017 code shows 15 amps to be the smallest permitted branch circuit rating.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
First Post in the the group. I was told by our ANSI inspector that we could use 16/2 between our led lighting on a 10 amp breaker. We currently are running 14/2 on a 20 amp breaker. We are building tiny homes to ANSI standards, however we follow the NEC for the electrical. Anyone know what the NEC says on led, 16/2, or it being on a 10 amp breaker?
What is the 16/2 wire do you propose to connect to a 10 amp circuit breaker?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I think that with 10 amp circuits the idea is to use copper-clad aluminum.
Yes, that was the driver in the 2023 code. I have been told, that a PI to permit 16 AWG copper for 10 amp branch circuits got approval at the first draft meeting. We will see if that makes it into the first draft report.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don’t see anything in table 310.16 for 16awg wire
That is because the only wire types in Table 310.4 (310.104 in older codes) that are permitted to be smaller than 16 AWG are MTW and MI.
However 16 and smaller conductors are included in Table 402.3, with ampacities in Table 402.5.