16 MOP device and a 20MOP device for a dehumidifier. Can i use 20 MOP for either?

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There is this dehumidifier manufacture that has 2 similar models. They are almost literally the same unit. Except one unit has a 9MCA and the other has a 12MCA. Their MOP is 16A (not sure why 16) for the first one and 20A for the second one. (it says minimum wire size #14 for both of them)

I did 20A breaker with a #12. The dehumidifier starts and runs fine with no issues.

My question is since we ended up going with the first model. Does this needs to be a 15A breaker now? Am i overthinking this?

Thank you,

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So the two units have:
Unit 1) MCA=9 amps & MaxOCPD=16 amps
Unit 2) MCA=12 amps & MaxOCPD=20 amps
The first unit requires a 15 amp OCPD so a 20 is too large. #14 conductors can be used for either unit with either the 15 or 20 amp OCPD.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The use of 16A as a breaker size might indicate that this is an IEC device, not intended to be used in North America. That then may also mean it is not UL listed, which may mean it has no stated SCCR, which might make it difficult to correct. You need to check carefully. People buy things on-line now direct from China without knowing that electrical equipment needs listing here in most cases, but as the EC, you cannot “fix that” in the field.