1600A gear clearance

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Correct me if I'm wrong- greater than 1200A equipment needs 42" of clearance to grounded parts in front of it

That includes anything on the wall opposite it including say a metal cabinet with elevator or telecom equipment(anything that is grounded)

And there are no exceptions, such as a stub out of the floor at 37" that then hits the wall that is 43" away from the dead front?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If you are referring to Low Voltage gear that is dead front (no exposed live parts), then no. 3 ft. For 600V and below, regardless of current rating. You might be thinking of MV gear, but again, it's not tied to current ratings.

nhfire77

1600A gear clearance

How bout a little more info

Ifs 480V and It's 3 1600 mains which is part of a larger panel.... it's over 6 feet wide

there are 2 exits from the room

nhfire77

1600A gear clearance

This MH graphic is what got me on this track-

http://ecmweb.com/nec/810ewCQfig1.jpg

Although the room has 2 exits the working clearance is 42" in is graphic for over 1200A when you don't have to double the working space (prior to doubling).... And this is LV gear were talking about.

But am I confusing the exposed live parts chart that requires 42"? That wouldn't apply to my situation, it's all enclosed gear

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
According to your descriptions and Table 110.26(A)(1), you have a 151-600V Condition 2 application requiring 3 ft. 6 in. minimum clear distance (42").

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
To expand on Smarts answer in condition two you measure from the dead front to the grounded object. You would need as he stated 42".

Status
Not open for further replies.