190 Degree Heat Detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Has anyone seen a 190 degree heat detector that operates at 120 volts? The building department is requesting that one be installed in the attic of a single family dwelling and interconnected with the dwelling smoke detectors but I can't seem to find one that operates at 120 volts and 190 degrees that is interconnectable.

pierre

Re: 190 Degree Heat Detectors

I have seen heat detectors installed in attic spaces. Contact an alarm company to see what product they use. If you read the instructions to most smoke detectors, the instructions will recommend to not install smoke detectors in attics.

Pierre

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Thank you for the responses. This is a situation where the Architect put two heat detectors on his drawings. A 190 degree device in the attic space and a 135 degree device in the attached dwelling garage. Now, whether they're actually required or not the building department is asking for them. I have found a 120 volt, 135 degree heat detector that is interconnectable with the smoke detectors but I have only been able to find a 24 volt heat detector rated at 190 degrees. Just wondering if anyone out there has had a similar situation or seen this product.

charlie

Interesting, I thought I was the only weird one. I have three 190? heat detectors in my attic and a 135? above my electric furnace. They, along with the smoke detectors, are wired into my alarm system. :D

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

120 volt heat detectors are available from several manufacturer's (I'm not sure if 190 degree detectors are available though). I've used Firex in the past but I think BRK makes them also. If you can't find any in your area there is an interface module available from each manufacturer that you could install in line with your interconnected smoke detectors and wire standard Edwards 190 degree detectors to it. There's no supervision on this circuit and the only way to test it is to either burn up the detector or to throw a short on the wires for the detection portion of that circuit. BTW, if you choose this method , make sure you get "fixed temperature" detectors and not the "rate of rise" type.

Also, here in many towns in northern NJ heat detectors, interconnected to the smoke detection circuit, are required in all attics, garages and boiler rooms.

[ August 14, 2005, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

I have used the 120 volt firex heat detectors with the 135 degree/rate of rise. I use these in apartments and homes. I have not found a 120 volt, 190 degree. The fire alarm systems I install for the state of NY in group homes for people with disabilities are all 24 volt systems. I do install heat detectors in the attic, kitchens and in the basement by the furnace along with the smoke detectors in the normal areas.

danfac

Goldstar:

Who makes this interface you mentioned? I have a Firex interconnected system and I've found that the Edwards heat detector capable of 190* but from your post, it sounds like I would need to put an interface between the Edwards units and the Firex system. Is this correct?

peter d

Originally posted by jdelectric:
The fire alarm systems I install for the state of NY in group homes for people with disabilities are all 24 volt systems.
JD, I have some questions for you just out of curiosity. What wiring method are you required to use for FA systems in NY state? Do you have a statewide FA code that you follow?

physis

I used to make those things for airplanes.

I can't, at the moment, remember how we did the measurement or what we used for a transducer. It was rather simple though.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Danfac,

I'm not sure what the part number is for the interface module but basically it accepts a closure from the operation of a heat detector and the electronics send a signal over the interconnected red wire to sound all alarm horns. You'll have to contact Firex and find out more about the part.

Phil,
Gold Star Electric

PS : I found this web site and i think this is the module : Relay module

[ August 15, 2005, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: goldstar ]

Status
Not open for further replies.