1910.305(a)(2)(i)(C): Experimental or development work

Status
Not open for further replies.

wshank

I researched the forum and could not find an answer, hopefully I did not miss something and ask a duplicate question.

What is the meaning (or examples) of 29 CFR 1910.305(a)(2)(i)(C) with respects to the term "Experimental or development work". I cannot find a definition in OSHA or literature for what this constitutes.

Background: At a location, the welders wired an receptacle outlet system connected to their welding table/platform and then to a flexible cord they could plug/unplug to power the system. When they were told this was not allowed, they found the cited reference and used the argument that they do experimental weld design and develop welded parts, so this exception must apply (Great initiative to look this up, but...).

So went searching for definition/examples of what this applied to - the usual places, CFR interpretations, CFR section preamble, general internet search, etc and really couldn't find anything.

Any ideas are appreciated (or letting me know I am off mark).

Thank you

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
.. . found the cited reference and used the argument that they do experimentalweld design and develop welded parts, so this exception must apply. . . .
That argument holds no water at all. This is not a case of needing power today,and perhaps tomorrow, so that they can conduct an experiment. Rather, this is a permanent method of conducting their daily work. They seemed to have missed theparagraph that closely follows the one they are trying to use:
1910.305(a)(2)(ii) Temporary wiring shall be removed immediatelyupon completion of the project or purpose for which the wiring wasinstalled.

wshank

...Could you explain a bit more?

Thank you for your time. To explain a little more, they took half an extension cord (leaving the male end) and hard wired the other end into a receptacle mounted on their welding table/platform so they could have a way to power receptacles closer to their work. Then they could plug the system into a wall outlet to power the system. I honestly have never paid attention to the "Experimental or development work" line in the CFR, so was not sure what it was for, but regardless, felt it did not apply. So I was concerned with both their setup in general as well as their explanation that it should be considered under "Experimental or development work" as per 1910.305(a)(2)(i)(C).

Thanks to Charlie B for your quick response as well.

WorkSafe

I agree with Charlie. I would not accept this. They are trying to use flex cord in place of permanent wiring. I also could not find a definition of OSHA's intent with those two words, but I will just assume. They are talking about developing and experimenting with new types of electrical systems and components, not manufacturing new welded parts.

pfalcon

Thank you for your time. To explain a little more, they took half an extension cord (leaving the male end) and hard wired the other end into a receptacle mounted on their welding table/platform so they could have a way to power receptacles closer to their work. Then they could plug the system into a wall outlet to power the system. I honestly have never paid attention to the "Experimental or development work" line in the CFR, so was not sure what it was for, but regardless, felt it did not apply. So I was concerned with both their setup in general as well as their explanation that it should be considered under "Experimental or development work" as per 1910.305(a)(2)(i)(C).

Thanks to Charlie B for your quick response as well.

OSHA 1910.305.a.2.i said:
Temporary electrical power and lighting installations of 600 volts, nominal, or less may be used only as follows:
Their set-up is a permanent set-up. This section does not apply. Whether the work they're doing is experimental or developmental is not relevant. You have to qualify under (2) and (i) before you can get down to apply (C). If they contend it's a temporary set-up then point them to (ii) where they have to remove it regularly. That is - immediately after each and every job or project performed. Otherwise they're acknowledging it's a permanent set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.