1960s built in pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smash

This pool does not appear to have any bonding that I can see. It has a deck box under the diving board for a deck light that was removed. I see a piece of UF cable ran to behind a fence to a GFCI recenptacle and switch which customer said worked the light for years. They have purchased a 12V light as a replacement. Inside deck box is a green insulated solid #8 wire to the ground lug along with a wire to same lug goes to a ground rod near the GFCI. There is a metal ladder now a pool light and pool filter that all need to be bonded. I see nothing from the ladder cups or concrete decking rebarb and there was no bond on the filter that was replaced. Also it looks like this was all done in rigid conduit and could have been a mechanical bond when new. Problem is some of the rigid conduit has broken off at the concrete base rotted away. how can I make this pool safe so I can sleep at night. Did they bond like today in the 60s ? Can they use the pool if everything is turned off ? They won’t do major repairs to bond I know they won’t. Is there somewhere else to look for a old bond ? Can that solid ground wire be used in anyway. Right now I have a unbonded motor with no where to bond. Behind a fence where the valves are there is No heater no sweep only metal is the filter motor.

Smash

That would be the easy thing to do of course it is a friend of a friend and I have about 3 hrs invested. Im going to give him a estimate of exactly what needs to happen refuse to install the pool light and get paid for filter motor and time clock install. Recommend the pool is not used in writing and be done. Since the estimate will be around 3K it’s very doubtful it gets done. No idea how to repair the snapped off rigid without cutting the decking. What’s the danger if there is no equipment running and completely shut down ?

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... What’s the danger if there is no equipment running and completely shut down?
Plus the same danger as a generator on a cheater cord or a myriad of other shortcuts violations: There's no way of assuring it will remain shut down while in use. You could post a warning sign outlining the danger, but the first time there's a kid's block party or underwater hockey tournament and the water turns funky, somebody will disregard the sign and turn the filter pump back on.

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Mike holt has some youTube videos on checking a pools bonding system using a meter and some long lengths of wire. You definitely need to get this figured out and bonded properly. Even if the power is off it could still be possible to have problems if other equipment faulted and energized a portion of the pool. Also I would never count on the owners to ONLY use the pool when the equipment is off.

Smash

I watched that Mike Holt video and I get the dangers. Main question is in the 60s did they use the rigid conduit as a machanical bond or was bonding done how it is today. That answer will save some time looking for something that possibly was never there. Thx for all the help you guys are awesome.

Smash

Mike holt has some youTube videos on checking a pools bonding system using a meter and some long lengths of wire. You definitely need to get this figured out and bonded properly. Even if the power is off it could still be possible to have problems if other equipment faulted and energized a portion of the pool. Also I would never count on the owners to ONLY use the pool when the equipment is off.
I agree he will def run the pool I was just trying to figure out at what risk. He’s gonna say it’s been like that for years I’m gonna tell him he’s been rolling the dice for years it needs to be right. Will see what happens ty

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I watched that Mike Holt video and I get the dangers. Main question is in the 60s did they use the rigid conduit as a machanical bond or was bonding done how it is today. That answer will save some time looking for something that possibly was never there. Thx for all the help you guys are awesome.

A pool done in the 60's will never meet the codes of today.

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
That would be the easy thing to do of course it is a friend of a friend and I have about 3 hrs invested. Im going to give him a estimate of exactly what needs to happen refuse to install the pool light and get paid for filter motor and time clock install. Recommend the pool is not used in writing and be done. Since the estimate will be around 3K it’s very doubtful it gets done. No idea how to repair the snapped off rigid without cutting the decking. What’s the danger if there is no equipment running and completely shut down ?
It's good you are recommending in writing about the pool not to be used. Bottom line is for the pool to be safe, you must do all the things necessary to bring it up to the present code. It's about the owner's safety and any visitors. You could "shame" them, but the thing is, it is necessary.
There's no quick fix or band-aid repair here. Do it all correct or don't do it at all.
Yes, they've been rolling the dice for years. It's fine, until it's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.