1973 home with aluminum wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

enireh

I am looking at a house that was built in 1976 (there's some question as to whether it was actually 1976 or 1973)... But, either way, the thing has the original fuse box and aluminum wiring. It seems like this is doing 'okay' as it hasn't burned down up to this point. Have you ever seen or dealt with anything like this before? I haven't seen this on any of the other houses I've own/looked at... My main question is, is this something that would normally get replaced completely? or, is it normal to just upgrade to a real/new panel with ARC fault breakers and then run all new circuits with copper?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I owned a house with aluminum wire back in 1980 and lived there for 3 years or so. All the homes in that development were done in aluminum wiring and they are still there.

I would probably make sure the devices are copper/aluminum devices and then tighten them up. You could pigtail copper tails with the special wirenuts but I wouldn't worry about it.

I would definitely check the mains, furnace and any other large feeders and make sure you have Noalox or some other compound on the wire.

Cavie

Many insurance companies in Florida are refusing to accept aluminum wiring. The ones that will, make you change out the devices to copper pigtails.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Back in the early 80's there were a bunch of house fires in SoCal due to aluminium house wiring/loose connections in outlets and at main service.

We made a handy amount of money going in and replacing outlets, pigtailing, and properly cleaning and torquing mains.

Nothing wrong with the wire itself, the issue is in the terminations. If it was my house I would replace all the devices, pigtail all connections with copper, change out panel, and should be good to go.

Actually there is probably still a pretty good market for cleaning these places up.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Did a panel change 10 years ago when AFCIs came out. Installed them on all the circuits (110) and one would not hold.

Held on a regular breaker. Cause -flying splice somewhere in the ceiling. Sold me on AFCIs.

So change the panel and install AFCIs. If they do not hold - find the problem or rewire that circuit.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
My old boss about choked when I suggested to a customer with AL branch circuits that they install smoke detectors. A good idea even if it's CU.

Watch for flickering lights, do not use portable electric space heaters, pigtail the devices with proper connectors. Touch the devices to see if any are warm.

mwm1752

I agree with the CU pigtailing to devices using the AL/CU wirenuts -- I was told that the mallability of AL would cause the wire to break -- twisting of wires prior to wirenut, forcing the device into an over filled box, to tight on the terminal connection, or just plain pulling device in & out while troubleshooting.

growler

In my opinion AL wiring has about the same reputation as Joseph Hazelwood (Master of the Exxon Valdez). Joe may not have been reponsible for the oil spill but he got blamed for it anyway.

If the house is going to get any major remodeling and is worth it I would try to get rid of the AL wiring and solve the problem once and for all. It's up to the owner to decide if it's worth it to spent the money for a rewire.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
We have AL wiring in a bunch of tracts in town and never seem to have any problems with them. But then I've never seen a house burn down because of a Zinsco or Federal Pacific panel either.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We have AL wiring in a bunch of tracts in town and never seem to have any problems with them. But then I've never seen a house burn down because of a Zinsco or Federal Pacific panel either.

I've seen plenty that should have burned down but not necessarily because of AL wiring or the panels. If the wires are in a proper box covered with holes closed, all damage stops at the box wall. Might be a PIA to repair but that is what we get paid for.

Status
Not open for further replies.