1991 code vs ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldwire

Occupation
electrician
hi
i am new to this forum so heres a job i have been hired to do and please feel free to comment!

this is a rural farmstead, the main 220 volt/200 amp power comes from a pole mounted meter, its a 3 wire (installed 1991) that goes to a transfer switch (200 amp manual handle) (installed 1991) used for a generator when power company power fails that goes to a (3 wire) to a junction box, no outbuildings are near each other and no metal or other contact. then that junction box has 4 lines, each is 200 amp wire 3 wire that runs to 4 buildings, (metal quanset, house, shed, shed), each building has a breaker box of 100 amps 3 wire. so i assume all code in 1991.

the wiring jobs looks excellent. ok so i see that there is a copper propane line that is run to all buildings and hooks to furnaces. i assume that maybe grounded because the furnaces are. there are no grounds that are hooked to any water pipe as all pipes are plastic coming into all buildings. the breaker boxes have the neutral and the ground on the same bar. (1991 i assume).
ok so my job is this. they want a 200 amp main breaker installed on the pole below the meter socket. then that means anything after that will be a feeder wire i assume. but there is no way to run ground wires back to all these buildings and if this was done in 1991 code, then no problem, but whats your suggestions?

ok second problem, new structure, i ran a 60 amp sub box 4 wire h, h, n, g. in the new structure, i put 2 ground rods next to that building 6 feet apart rods ground wire goes into the 60 amp box, then it runs to the main breaker box in the house. i have not hooked into the house box yet, well if i hooked h, h, n, g. to the box. ( but neutral and ground are not seperate, but what am i missing here? I’m dealing with old code and new code and the old box is 3 wire where neutral and ground share the same bar. suggestions? the ahj says 200 amp breaker 3 wire on pole is ok. but is it? i haven’t showed him this new structure. i think I’m missing something… comments?
thanks!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1. Welcome to the forum.

2. If the inspector allows the three-wire to remain, say "Thank you" and install the disco and an electrode.

3. Land both the neutral and the EGC for the new feeder on the neutral bus in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.