2/0 neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

I'm getting ready to change a service. I've already got some 4/0 triplex with a 2/0 neutral that the local power company had in a riser that I replaced in the past.
Is the 2/0 allowed for a 200 amp riser according to Code? Thanks

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Be careful..
We give that stuff away in various lengths and have had some inspectors fail the install on some electricians when the wire is used going inside the structure.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Be careful..
We give that stuff away in various lengths and have had some inspectors fail the install on some electricians when the wire is used going inside the structure.
Agree. It would fail here unless it's a 310.104 NEC recognized conductor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'm getting ready to change a service. I've already got some 4/0 triplex with a 2/0 neutral that the local power company had in a riser that I replaced in the past.

Lots of the power company wire does not have a vertical flame rating so it isn't allowed inside the structure and if it isn't marked with a listing mention in 310.104 as Gus stated then it is not compliant.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Believe it or not the neutral can be as small as your grounding electrode conductor which is usually #4 for a 200 amp service. Of course you would have to show a neutral load calculation to try and get that by an inspector. It's very common, in a residential service, to use a neutral that is one to 2 sizes smaller than the hot conductors.

sparkync

Thanks for your replies. It won't be going inside the structure, only the line lugs of the meter base. The wires do have markings on them. I think I'm going to try them, seeing the price for wire and materials seem to more than doubled. Thanks again.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There may be some confusion here on the word "triplex". I think the OP is referring to Plexed conductors such as a URD assembly. URD is usually marked "USE-2/RHH-2" making it allowed pretty much anywhere.
Not all sweetbriar is marked or rated that way.
The sweetbriar 3EAL is marked like that, but not all types are. That’s why I wrote “be careful”

Status
Not open for further replies.