2.4 KV switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just an academic question. I am not very familiar with MV equipment. What are my options for a small 2.4 KV switch/disconnect. Say 10 amps max. Doesn't necessarily need to be load break. I know I could use separable connectors or pole type cutouts, but thinking something more user Friendly. What about a pad mount switch? How small do they get? How much money ballpark would this cost?

gar

Occupation
EE
211002-1529 EDT

electrofelon:

I can not answer your question, but I will make some comments on switching a load.

My reference on gaseous discharge is "Fundamentals of Engineering Electronics", 2nd Edition, 1952, by William G. Dow, University of Michigan. This book is largely on electron tubes, but does cover other related areas. Dow was a very important person to the U of M. He was probably responsible for bringing billions of research dollars to Michigan, he live to somewhat more than 100, and when he was on one of his walks in my neighborhood in his late 90s he still remember me from 50 years earlier.

Dow has a chapter, XV, on Current Flow in Gases in this book, Figure 15,1 illustrates some volt-ampere characteristics for gaseous conduction.

Real world circuits will virtually always at least include resistance, inductance, capacitance, an energy source, and a switch. In a simple analysis some components may be ignored.

If you consider a simple battery, switch, resistance, and inductance series circuit, then you will find that upon opening the switch that exactly the same current magnitude will flow in the same direction as before the switch was opened. Assuming nothing else in the circuit. then a spark or arc discharge must occur in the switch or somewhere to provide a conductive path. In the real world there will be some capacitance present. If the voltage source is a sine wave, then there are natural times when current goes to zero. In a DC powered circuit there is no voltage source zero crossing, and current flow has to exist until all stored energy is dissipated.

In an AC circuit current flow will continue until the first current zero crossing. and in some cases for more than 1/2 cycle.

In your case you want your switch to open fast and over a great enough distance to try to quench the spark or arc within 1/2 cycle. Sometimes a magnetic field is used to force the arc into a longer path length, greater voltage drop and power dissipation.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Are you looking for new or used? Have you looked at ABB 'VERSA' switches i think they start at 200 Amp, you might find a used 4160V 60Amp disconnect.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... Sometimes a magnetic field is used to force the arc into a longer path length, greater voltage drop and power dissipation.
Sometimes an arc chute is used to chop the arc into smaller pieces to hasten its extinguishment, and sometimes a puffer (spring-loaded bellows, and a nozzle) is used to force the arc up into the arc chute and replace it with cool air. (or cool sulfur hexafluoride, in breakers for frighteningly high voltages)

ppsh

Occupation
Electrician
okWJ250.png

Status
Not open for further replies.