2 Bathfans in a bath area w/closed-in toilet

Status
Not open for further replies.

aelectricalman

I had a fartfan in the toilet area of the bath. Because there was a seperate door on the toilet room, the building inspector turned down my electrical work. I didnt have a second fan in the primary portion of the bathroom. Is this right? I've done this typical installation in many homes and never had an inspector do this. Can anyone relate to this? Thanks for your help guys and gals, even though this is the building AHJ not Electrical.

[ May 11, 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: aelectricalman ]

allenwayne

Re: 2 Bathfans in a bath area w/closed-in toilet

here we have to have seperate fans for seperate areas in a bathroom,used to be if there was a window it was ok but after 02 all areas seperated by a door need their own fans

ryan_618

Your AHJ is correct. See section R303.3 of the IRC, which states:
Bathrooms, water closet compartments and similiar rooms shall be provided with .....windows not less than 3 sqaure feet, one-half of which must be openable.

Exception: ...Mechanical ventilation...
I only have the 2000 IRC here at the house, but the 2003 cleared it up, making it clear that this is the requirement.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

So this bathroom(s) had no window?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by ryan_618:
Bathrooms, water closet compartments and similiar rooms shall be provided with .....windows not less than 3 sqaure feet, one-half of which must be openable.

Ryan, why is this? I understand exaust fans are to remove humidity. Does a toilet really need this?

These things confuse me. :)

electricmanscott

Bath fans are for moisture removal. In Mass you only need one of the bathroom contains a shower or tub. If not you have the option to clothespin your nose.

allenwayne

guess it depends on area here even if there is a sliding glass door in a bathroom there has to be an exhaust fan

ryan_618

Originally posted by georgestolz:
Originally posted by ryan_618:

Ryan, why is this? I understand exaust fans are to remove humidity. Does a toilet really need this?

These things confuse me. :)
George I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier, I forgot about this thread :(

I agree with you regarding the humidity issue. The only other thing I can think of (and its a stretch) is to eliminate methane gas from building to a dangerous level...again, I think its a stretch. :confused:

aelectricalman

The building AHJ said that the only place required to have bath fans are shower/bath areas and toilet areas seperated by a door. This is the very short hand version. Baring there are no windows 3 sqft that open. I think someone else stated this as well.

allenwayne

here it is a 02 mechanical code elctrical AHJ could care less if there was a fan installed window or not :D

Status
Not open for further replies.