2 Circuits in same box grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.
:confused: Question I have a 2 gang box in the bathroom of a house it has a lighting circuit and a gfci circuit in it. The AHJ wants the 2 devices in there own box because he says the 2 different grounds can not be in the same box. And a different inspector for the same city says they are ok in the same box as long as ALL the ground wires are termanated together undere the same wirenut.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ask inspector One to show you where that is in the code. Inspector 2 has it right. All the grounds should be terminated together.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with the others, Inspector #2 is correct. 250.148 is the code section that deals with continuity and attachment of equipment grounding conductors to boxes.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If there are two EGC's from two different cables with two different circuits are they required to be connected together? I say no. If each one goes directly to a device an interconnection is not required.

raider1

Staff member
infinity said:
If there are two EGC's from two different cables with two different circuits are they required to be connected together? I say no. If each one goes directly to a device an interconnection is not required.

Agreed, but if they splice in the box then they must be connected together.

Chris

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
raider1 said:
Agreed, but if they splice in the box then they must be connected together.

Chris

So I have a big vertical riser box filled with 500 Kcmil feeders w/ #4/0 EGC's, say 20 sets. I choose to splice all of the feeders at a midpoint in the run. Are you saying that I need to splice together all 20 #4/0 EGC's? I say that the only requirement is that the box is grounded to one of them and that the rest can simply be spliced straight through.

iwire

Staff member
Trevor in my opinion 250.148 requires all to be connected together unless they pass straight through.

If that was not the case we would not need the exception for IG circuits.

In your '20 - 4/0 example' a grounding bar would be the way to go.

raider1

Staff member
So I have a big vertical riser box filled with 500 Kcmil feeders w/ #4/0 EGC's, say 20 sets. I choose to splice all of the feeders at a midpoint in the run. Are you saying that I need to splice together all 20 #4/0 EGC's? I say that the only requirement is that the box is grounded to one of them and that the rest can simply be spliced straight through.

Yes, I believe that you would have to splice them together. Here is what 250.148 says:

"Where circuit conductors are spliced within a box, or terminated on equipment within or supported by a box, any equipment grounding conductor(s) associated with those circuit conductors shall be spliced or joined within the box or to the box with devices suitable for the use in accordance with 250.148(A) through (E).

250.148(C) goes on to state:

"Metal boxes. A connection shall be made between the one or more equipment grounding conductors and a metal box by means of a grounding screw that shall be used for no other purpose or a listed grounding device."

So the best way to comply with 250.148 in your example is to use a listed grounding terminal kit with multiple lugs bolted to the metal box and used to splice all the equipment grounding conductors.

I have done this in the past, albeit not to the extent that your example is showing.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Whoa, it looks like Bob snuck in before I could put all my thoughts together in some semblance of coherency.:D

Anyway it apprears we agree.

Chris

iwire

Staff member
infinity said:

I disagree, 250.148 specifically mentions conductors terminated on equipment. Devices are equipment.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
I disagree, 250.148 specifically mentions conductors terminated on equipment. Devices are equipment.

I'm hung up on the fact that the requirement is for "any equipment associated with those circuit conductors". If EGC is for a 120 volt receptacle and the others are for a 277 volt circuit spliced within the box I don't see how the 277 volt EGC is "associated" with the 120 volt circuit conductors.

Bea

infinity said:
I'm hung up on the fact that the requirement is for "any equipment associated with those circuit conductors". If EGC is for a 120 volt receptacle and the others are for a 277 volt circuit spliced within the box I don't see how the 277 volt EGC is "associated" with the 120 volt circuit conductors.

The EG of 120 circuit is not associated with the EG of the 277 volt circuit but both are associated with there respected circuit and contained with in the same box and must jioned to or connected together as per 250.148 unless one is a IEG

iwire

Staff member
Trevor I agree with Bea's explanation.

The EGCs associated with the circuit conductors that terminate or splice in the box need to be connected to the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.