2 ground rods for pex plumbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out here in Louisiana we need two grounds just like every where. So I set a ground rod and then run it to the incoming main water line which is all copper. now I am wiring a house that is plumbed with pex do I need to use two ground rods even though the main line into the house is copper with the rest pex. I don't think I do also any code references would be appreciated thanks ryan.

Last edited:

480sparky

If the incoming water line is copper, you can get by with 1 ground rod, in most cases.

If it's poly, then you will probably need two. The NEC doesn't get into a required number of rods, just 25 ohms.

Your POCO and AHJ will be able to answer this with authority.

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
unless you can prove 25ohms or less resistance, you still need two ground rods. I don't know the code off the top of my head, and my book is in my truck. Somebody will post it in a few minutes I'm sure.

raider1

Staff member
brantmacga said:
unless you can prove 25ohms or less resistance, you still need two ground rods. I don't know the code off the top of my head, and my book is in my truck. Somebody will post it in a few minutes I'm sure.

250.56.:)

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Just as a side note, there is no requirement for 2 sources of ground. This is a common myth that seems to circulate amoungst people in the electrical trade.

You are require to use all grounding electrodes, as described in 250.52, that are present at a building. If you have a metal water pipe as an electrode the metal water pipe must be supplemented by anoter electrode. (See 250.53(D)(2)).

Also is there any footing steel that might consistute a Concrete Encased Electrode?

Chris

r_merc

The NEc may not require 2 Rods but the NC DOI has made a declaration that in NC 2 rods shall be required when no other Grounding electrode is used. 25 Ohms or less they don't care. It's a Jurisdictional thing...

Rick

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
If the incoming water line is copper, you can get by with 1 ground rod, in most cases.

You may be able to get by with one ground rod if the water pipe is copper but I believe the code still requires 2 rods or 25 ohms to ground.

raider1

Staff member
Dennis Alwon said:
You may be able to get by with one ground rod if the water pipe is copper but I believe the code still requires 2 rods or 25 ohms to ground.

Yes you are correct. If you use a ground rod to supplement the water pipe as required by 250.53(D)(2) the ground rod must comply with 250.56 and either have 25 ohms or less or be supplemented with another electrode.

Chris

JohnJ0906

stickboy1375 said:
I dont think I've ever gotten to drive just 1 rod, except at a temporary service, they seem to let that slide.

The rule of thumb in some jurisdictions around here seems to be - Service, 2 rods, whether they are the only ground electrode, or supplementary.

Temp service, or outbuilding subpanel (garage, shed, etc) 1 rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.