2 Main breaker panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

T74

I looked at a job recently to replace the service cable and meter socket for a 2 family house. No big deal there but the inside is not typical and I'm curious as to how other contractors would handle this.

The left and center panels are for the first floor. Both are main breaker with the service conductors spiced in the old meter socket above.

My inclination is to make 1 the main panel and feed the second panel from that but also wondering if it would be acceptable to refeed the meter socket and leave it at that.

Also, feel free to comment on the quality of the existing work--I didn't do it :)

Attachments

• IMG_5390 (1).jpg
    IMG_5390 (1).jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0

iwire

Staff member
Assuming correct wire sizing, breaker sizing, bonding and splicing that method is compliant to install today.

With a 400 amp service typically a single 400 amp meter socket feeds two 200 amp main breaker panels.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
The size of the meter socket is what jumps out at me. Although I can't identify the manufacturer of those sockets, and I am not generally familiar with East Coast power company requirements, I find it hard to imagine that such a small socket is rated at more than 100 Amps. What I see suggests that someone snuck in an additional (second) service disconnecting means, without increasing the rating of the service entrance conductors.

Why was it done this way? If the attached calculated load to panel #1 and to the middle panel (added together) exceeds the rated capacity of the meter socket, then something other than a simple subfeed is necessary. Only the information out on the Premises Wiring (System) will answer this question.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Also, the five double pole breakers in panel #1 labeled "HEAT" is a red warning flag waving in the wind. :angel:

peter d

Common New England service, I see them all the time. I would pull those old meter sockets out and get that ancient junk out of there.

As for the "quality", this is typical of every multi family that has been hacked by every handyman and side jobbing "electrician" under the sun. I think I can count on one hand the number of neat and clean multi family services I have seen or worked on over the years.

sparky1118

Occupation
Master Electrician
I looked at a job recently to replace the service cable and meter socket for a 2 family house. No big deal there but the inside is not typical and I'm curious as to how other contractors would handle this.

The left and center panels are for the first floor. Both are main breaker with the service conductors spiced in the old meter socket above.

My inclination is to make 1 the main panel and feed the second panel from that but also wondering if it would be acceptable to refeed the meter socket and leave it at that.

Also, feel free to comment on the quality of the existing work--I didn't do it :)

See that a lot around here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The meters in the OP look like they are jumped out with # 10's. Are there new meter sockets located outside ?

I have almost the exact same installation coming up this week. I'm just replacing the existing (2) Federal panels but the POCO tells me that if the interior meters are of an old type where there isn't a 5th jaw at 9:00 I must replace them. If I were upgrading the entire service then I would have to locate the meters outside.

kwired

Electron manager

Since it is a two family dwelling one needs to consider if there is access to overcurrent devices from both occupants. I am also assuming there is a common POCO meter ahead of those that have been slugged. A single meter is not a code issue, but one may still want to consider if there would be a need to separately meter each unit down the road and set it up so it is easy to make that change if needed.

iwire

Staff member
Since it is a two family dwelling one needs to consider if there is access to overcurrent devices from both occupants.

Actually the OP is in MA so no they do not have to worry about that. We do not have to correct what is existing.

I am also assuming there is a common POCO meter ahead of those that have been slugged. A single meter is not a code issue,

I would not assume that, it is not allowed here. I expect the power company forced the relocation of both meters outside at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.