2 pole circuit breakers for C & A phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvirgil467

let's say on a 208Y/120v, 12 pole panel you circuit up some 208v, single phase loads. The first is connected to circuits 1 and 3 (phase a & b). Now for the second circuit, can i physically get a breaker to use circuits 5 and 7 for the next 208v single phase load (phases c and a)?

iwire

Staff member
The breakers are the same, the panel is the same, it all depends on the position they are installed in.

Unless you happen to have I-Line in which case you would need to specify the breakers phase connection.

mdshunk

Depends on the brand of panel. For instance, you can get the I-Line single and double poles in versions for whatever phasing you need. In other brands of bolt on's, you need to rearrange the buss fingers.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cvirgil467 said:
let's say on a 208Y/120v, 12 pole panel you circuit up some 208v, single phase loads. The first is connected to circuits 1 and 3 (phase a & b). Now for the second circuit, can i physically get a breaker to use circuits 5 and 7 for the next 208v single phase load (phases c and a)?
With no modifications, that exactly what you would get.

1 & 2 = A
3 & 4 = B
5 & 6 = C
7 & 8 = A
9 & 10 = B
11 & 12 = C

Down the left side:

1-3 = A-B
5-7 = C-A
9-11 = B-C

Down the right side:

2-4 = A-B
6-8 = C-A
10-12 = B-C

Wes G

mdshunk said:
Depends on the brand of panel. For instance, you can get the I-Line single and double poles in versions for whatever phasing you need. In other brands of bolt on's, you need to rearrange the buss fingers.

My favorite has always been the latter. Get a panel with bolt on fingers and set up say the top portion for 3 phase and the bottom portion for single phase.

Goodland, KS

Status
Not open for further replies.