2 pole GFCI Breakers and hot tubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

djtazjr

Please excuse my ignorance;

How hoes a 2 pole GFCI breaker work with a 240 Jacuzzi?

I am very puzzled about this issue. I haven't got enough knowledge or experience, whatever it is,to understand this. :)

tshephard

Re: 2 pole GFCI Breakers and hot tubs.

GFCIs work by measuring and comparing the current "leaving" against the current "returning".
If there is a difference, it must have "leaked out" to ground.
All of the current leaving 'Phase A' should return on 'Phase B' and vice versa. So just like the ones with a neutral, if any doesn't return, it must have leaked, breaker opens.

djtazjr

Oh goodness, all that reading and studying is put simple. I feel really stupid?!

Well, what is the purpose of the white wire on the 2 pole 240 volt breaker? There is no Neutral on a 240 Jacuzzi.

djtazjr

Thanks hurk.

Now here is something else. Suppose the distance is to great for a GFCI Breaker, and you have to put a disconnect at the spa. How would you protect the person with GFCI then? :confused:

G

Use a Spa Disconnect GFCI Panel:

sdc-2.jpg

sdc-1.gif

[ November 19, 2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: awwt ]

hurk27

What Attw posted is one way there is many as you could put a small sub panel and feed it by a two-pole GFCI or just put the gfci in a small sub panel located closer to the hot tub. just remember to keep any disconect or OCP at least 10' away but within site of the hot tub. Also If it is a self contained hot tub and it already has GFCI built in then just locate the required receptacle where the cord can reach it and your done. I just did one that I have never seen before. the hot tub came with a small sub panel with two two pole GFCI breakers in it one was 30 amps the other was 20 amps there was no neutral required just an EGC. most eather have to be fed with a GFCI circuit or have the GFCI built in with a long cord to plug in as the disconect.

Status
Not open for further replies.