2 Services Sharing Ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have townhomes with each unit having its own 200A service from the utility. The services are about 8' apart. Can you install 2 ground rods between the services and connect those to the 2 meter enclosures, in essence sharing the ground rods for the 2 separate services? My proposal is a GEC connecting in this way: meter-rod-6'-rod-meter

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Ground electrode rods must be buried I think 8 or 10 feet down but not 6’ nec

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have townhomes with each unit having its own 200A service from the utility. The services are about 8' apart. Can you install 2 ground rods between the services and connect those to the 2 meter enclosures, in essence sharing the ground rods for the 2 separate services? My proposal is a GEC connecting in this way: meter-rod-6'-rod-meter
I can't think of any reason you can't.

Yes, the rods will be 6' apart. I understand that if there is one service feed to the building with a 2 meter bank there will be only one set of ground rods. In my case though, there are 2 separate services from the utility. Not sure if 250.64(D) covers this scenario.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Not only is there no reason you can't, but you are more or less required to, because all electrodes at a structure must be connected together. So you could drive more ground rods than necessary, but you couldn't not connect both services to them.

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Just curious, does the grounding system cross any property lines that might restrict this. I know you can't run a service through someone else's building, and this would be outside, possibly under a homeowners control. Just asking for a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.