2 services water and gas bond one gec

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrandt

I have a job to installed 2 100 amp services take down old ones put up new. Here we are required to use only one ground rod. I will be using the same rod for the two services.

Now here's my question. Here we bond gas and water. Now can i use one continuous GEC from ground rod to each water and gas that enter each apartment separately? Basically one #6 to both apartments gas and water. If so what code section so I can tell inspector. He told me 2 separate #6, but why it is all bonded together, why not one gec?

Thanks for any help

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Well, the first thing to recognize is that the gas pipe going to the utility main is not a recognized grounding electrode, so technically you are running a bonding wire to it, not a GEC.

mwm1752

I have a job to installed 2 100 amp services take down old ones put up new. Here we are required to use only one ground rod. I will be using the same rod for the two services.

Now here's my question. Here we bond gas and water. Now can i use one continuous GEC from ground rod to each water and gas that enter each apartment separately? Basically one #6 to both apartments gas and water. If so what code section so I can tell inspector. He told me 2 separate #6, but why it is all bonded together, why not one gec?

Thanks for any help

sounds like the reason for 1 ground rod is it is supplement to the water line electrode -- you cannot make a series connection to the gas piping in the GEC system -- you can bond gas piping -- do you have 2 separate service laterals?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
sounds like the reason for 1 ground rod is it is supplement to the water line electrode -- you cannot make a series connection to the gas piping in the GEC system -- you can bond gas piping -- do you have 2 separate service laterals?

May I ask where it says that you can't?

mwm1752

May I ask where it says that you can't?

You may & clarification is required -- First of all not a very clear statement on my part -- If the gas piping is used in series as the path for the GEC then it becomes an electrode and there is possibility of using the UG metal piping as an electrode. You may say the dielectric connection at the meter will prevent the connection but what about the mettalic branch that is buried in the yard to the BBQ/firepit/ maybe more of a good practice. A bonding jumper would not be a series connection or a GEC as long as the connection is on load side of the metering.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.