2 temporary motor connections off single ATS

Mr. Chippers

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have an existing ATS, protected on the normal and emergency side by a 1600A breaker. It feeds an existing chiller. This chiller will be disconnected and the contractor wants to use the load side of the ATS to feed a temporary chiller while work is being performed. The temporary chiller requires 2 circuits, with MCA of 490A & 561A, MOCP of 600 & 700A, and FLA of 442A & 511A. There are circuit breakers for each circuit on the temp chiller. It will be a couple hundred feet away.

My question is can we run 2 circuits off the load side of the ATS to the temp chiller? I worry about the branch wiring overheating before the 1600A upstream breaker would trip.

We could run 5 sets of #400kcmil for each but that seems overkill. Do we treat this as a tap off the ATS and provide a fused disconnect within 10 feet for each circuit?

Or does this follow the requirements of a multi-motor branch circuit, where the MOCP would be up to 250% of the largest motor FLA plus FLA of the other motor? Which would equal 1719A, so a 1600A breaker would suffice.

Engser18

Occupation
Engineering
Do we treat this as a tap off the ATS and provide a fused disconnect within 10 feet for each circuit? Yes. Conductors ampacity from ATS to Fuse Disconnected need to be higher than fuse ampacity. seem like you can use 10' and 25' rules.