2 to 3 Prongs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esthy

I am writing a report in a house that an unlicensed electrician replaced all 2 prongs receptacles for 3 prongs receptacles and installed, in each receptacle, a jumper from the ground screw to the neutral screw. I have difficulty in finding the appropriated code violation section. Any help?

mcclary's electrical

I am writing a report in a house that an unlicensed electrician replaced all 2 prongs receptacles for 3 prongs receptacles and installed, in each receptacle, a jumper from the ground screw to the neutral screw. I have difficulty in finding the appropriated code violation section. Any help?

250.130 (c)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Take a look at 250.24(A)(5).
(5) Load-Side Grounding Connections. A grounded conductor shall not be connected to normally non–current-carrying metal parts of equipment, to equipment grounding conductor(s), or be reconnected to ground on the load side of the service disconnecting means except as otherwise permitted in this article.

76nemo

That's just priceless:roll:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
May I ask what the report is intended to accomplish? Is there a legal dispute involved in this story? I need to ask because, if this is part of a lawsuit or other legal action, forum rules do not allow us to participate.

Esthy

Sorry, it is not a report, it is a proposal to correct the violations. I meet with the electric inspector and POCO. Unlicensed electrician tampered with the meter and "upgrade" the service, he installed a new service panel, partially behind the water heater, consisting in: no main, but 14 mini breakers as a disconnecting mean, multiwiring on same phase and replacing the 2 prongs receptacles for 3 prongs ones with a jumper from ground screw to neutral screw. I know the violation codes, but trying to explain it to a 75 years old lady in writing and I, been a 67 years old, English my second language and "forgetting things" I don't find in plain English a good explanation. I know, I know, I should be retired now, but the "new economy" didn't let me to do that until I reach 82. I will send photos of this today, "I forgot" the camera in my truck.

stevenje

I meet with the electric inspector and POCO. Unlicensed electrician tampered with the meter and "upgrade" the service, he installed a new service panel, partially behind the water heater, consisting in: no main, but 14 mini breakers as a disconnecting mean, multiwiring on same phase and replacing the 2 prongs receptacles for 3 prongs ones with a jumper from ground screw to neutral screw.

I would hope that the electrical inspector would "have a little talk" with the unlicensed electrician.

Split Bolt

Over the years, I have run into that "ground jumper to neutral" problem a lot in older homes around here. It's cheaper for homeowners to pay their handyman or painter to replace them than a licensed electrician! After all, how difficult can it be? The bad thing is that most HIs will just plug-in their bug-eye, see an "OK" reading and call it good! I will get a call every now & then for switches that used to control receptacles that mysteriously "went bad." I get there, see all new devices and ask them if they had someone who wasn't an electrician change all the devices. Then I ask them if they remember which ones were controlled to save time looking for the ones that need the tab broken out to make it split-wired again! I often wonder how many hours or days the non-electrician spent pulling his/her hair out trying to figure-out the problem before deciding to call an electrician!:grin:

Esthy

Here are the pictures, he's good, he used AWG 12 for all the receptacles jumpers and because the panel is closed to the water heater he left the meter without cover for ventilation purposes (this is the problem with meter electronic reading, no one notice it) Ah, he is too generous that he provided 14 disconnects instead of a main. That lady paid only $2,500.00 for that wonderful upgrade

violation012.jpg

violation005.jpg

violation002.jpg

violation007.jpg

hurk27

Wow there is enough violations in the meter and panel alone to keep you bussy for a few days

Meter too high for most POCO requirments
No bonding bushing on metal raceway between meter and panel
I can't see any visable grounding electrode conductors in the panel
No main service disconnect, required for a lighting and branch circuit panel 408
Pipe running out of the bottom of panel looks way over wire count as with maybe others
use of a non WP box and fittings in an outdoor damp location
possable a 110.26 violation on panel but angle of camera is hard to tell

At least the wires in the panel are installed in a neet maner.:grin:

Last edited:

Split Bolt

WOW!! Just curious, what area is this in? The meter INSIDE the house? I guess the local big box store had a sale on outdoor panels. One observation I made right away was the illegal jumper being gray. Maybe it was a commercial electrician who did the work since he has high voltage colors on his truck. Sometimes electricians who have done only commercial work their entire career are lost when doing residential and vice-versa. I also like how he put all grounds on the left and neutrals on the right of the interconnected bar. Is this possibly a sub-panel with a disconnect somewhere before the meter and the meter is there for tenant billing purposes? I guess not since the POCO is involved. Well, the good news is that, with 2 long pieces of wire through the handles, you can get this baby down to 2 throws of a switch!:grin:

kwired

Electron manager
.. One observation I made right away was the illegal jumper being gray.

...Maybe it was a commercial electrician who did the work since he has high voltage colors on his truck....

Where does it say what color to use for an illegal jumper like this?

Where does it say gray is for high voltages only?

Gray or white are the colors for all grounded circuit conductors on systems operating at less than 600 volts nominal.

oops missed Non WP sealing of raceways running in to the top of an R-3 panel

It does not appear that this 3R panel is located outdoors - nothing wrong with using a 3R panel indoors but it would not require weather proof wiring methods to be connected to it.

Split Bolt

OK, fair enough! But around here, every building I have worked in uses Brown, Orange, Yellow & Gray for the 277/480 and Black, Red, Blue & White for the 120/208. That's just the way it is!:grin:

Esthy

A porch was build enclosing where the meter is. Will meet POCO tomorrow and they, as The Registrar of Contractors will take actions toward that individual. Already the EI listed the violation to be repaired. I think POCO missed too many violations to their meters because of those electronic readers.

Jim W in Tampa

It has a main disconnect, it's the meter and he left the cover off so you can pull it easy.
If he is smart he will put his tools in the trunk of his car and leave town fast

Status
Not open for further replies.