2-wire Romex for 240 volt

Status
Not open for further replies.

DENN M.

Here in Southern California I ran an 8/2 Romex to an A/C condenser, and had the inspector write a correction for it saying that I can't change the color of a wire #6 or smaller. I wasn't there at the time, so I can only guess that he is referring to 200.6 (A) (4). That should only refer to indentification of the grounded conductor because as far as I've interpreted, 200.6 (C) (1) allows me to mark the ungrounded conductor in a cable assembly without regard for it's size. Is my installation compliant or is this inspector correct in citing that it isn't. If it isn't, then please tell me what I may be over looking. Thank You

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
When the dust settles these issues normally turn out to be a misunderstanding, but you are allowed to reidentify conductors in a cable assembly as noted in 200.7

DENN M.

Thanks for the reply. Since I'm on vacation, I don't have my code book with me, thank you for pointing out that it is 200.7........trying to make sure I'm right before I dispute it with the inspector.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Augie knows -- he knows the inspectors are always wrong.....:lol:

You are correct and I agree with Gus. If the white conductor is part of a cable assembly then you can mark it for 240V -- very clear in 200.7(C) as he stated.

In Canada they have NM cable with a Black, Red and an equipment grounding conductor. It is made for 240V-- we do not need have that product here in the states

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
Here in Southern California I ran an 8/2 Romex to an A/C condenser, and had the inspector write a correction for it saying that I can't change the color of a wire #6 or smaller. I wasn't there at the time, so I can only guess that he is referring to 200.6 (A) (4). That should only refer to indentification of the grounded conductor because as far as I've interpreted, 200.6 (C) (1) allows me to mark the ungrounded conductor in a cable assembly without regard for it's size. Is my installation compliant or is this inspector correct in citing that it isn't. If it isn't, then please tell me what I may be over looking. Thank You
I believe the inspector might have attended some RECENT CEU training and he is confused between Section 200.6(A) for identifying a grounded conductor versus Section 200.7(C) for reidentifying for use as an ungrounded conductor...simple case of being confused is all...now be nice and educate him/her and you both will have a great relationship....they will respect you...and you will gain points with them....Win-Win !

DENN M.

I respect that. That's why I'm taking this step. I like to make sure I verify that what I have learned IS actually correct before I talk to the inspector and will definitely remain diplomatic. Thanks for the info!

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I respect that. That's why I'm taking this step. I like to make sure I verify that what I have learned IS actually correct before I talk to the inspector and will definitely remain diplomatic. Thanks for the info!

Sounds like an Excellent thought process....Good Luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.