200 amp meter sockets

Status
Not open for further replies.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If OP has the same requirements that Eversource applies in my region, you need a lever bypass meterbase as well as the external disconnect.

IMHO the external disconnect should obviate the bypass requirement. It might be necessary to shut the house down before pulling a meter, but that is rarer.

Jon

kwired

Electron manager
If OP has the same requirements that Eversource applies in my region, you need a lever bypass meterbase as well as the external disconnect.

IMHO the external disconnect should obviate the bypass requirement. It might be necessary to shut the house down before pulling a meter, but that is rarer.

Jon
Isn't part of the reason for a bypass to be able to swap a meter without interrupting continuity of service?

I don't believe bypass is intended to make or break a load, just to throw it in parallel before breaking then remaking the other path.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
My understanding agrees, the purpose of the bypass is to allow removing the meter without disconnecting the load.

But I was under the impression that the _safety_ reason was that you didn't want to remove a meter with load on it and have a risk of arcing. This safety purpose is achieved either with a bypass (that keeps the load energized) or a separate disconnect (removing the load from the meter).

Obviously more convenient for the customer to keep the home energized, but just how common are meter changes?

Jon

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
My understanding agrees, the purpose of the bypass is to allow removing the meter without disconnecting the load.

But I was under the impression that the _safety_ reason was that you didn't want to remove a meter with load on it and have a risk of arcing. This safety purpose is achieved either with a bypass (that keeps the load energized) or a separate disconnect (removing the load from the meter).

Obviously more convenient for the customer to keep the home energized, but just how common are meter changes?

Jon
You would be surprised…
With PLC the modules stop communicating so the meter must be changed.
The display stops working so it must be changed.
Meter get damaged somehow it must be changed..
We probably change out 1-5 every day

kwired

Electron manager
You would be surprised…
With PLC the modules stop communicating so the meter must be changed.
The display stops working so it must be changed.
Meter get damaged somehow it must be changed..
We probably change out 1-5 every day
I bet you change more than you used to now that electronic meters are the dominant type out there.

We do have some around where the display no longer works correctly but it still communicates fine with the main system, they don't get in any rush to change those, and possibly don't even know about many of them until they do come to the site for some reason.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I bet you change more than you used to now that electronic meters are the dominant type out there.

We do have some around where the display no longer works correctly but it still communicates fine with the main system, they don't get in any rush to change those, and possibly don't even know about many of them until they do come to the site for some reason.
We are required to physically read every meter once a year. It’s an inspection thing. So yeah, we don’t realize the display is out until we are notified by the member, or our contract readers.
You would be surprised how many members look at their meter monthly to verify the PLC readings…

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I've only operated a few lever bypass meter sockets, but I believe the lever action also causes the jaws to close on the meter so you don't have the old style pressure jaws that required you to pound on the meter face with your fist to get it inserted, but I may be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.