200 amp panel and bj2200 breaker

shaggy0420

Occupation
Electrician/Electrical warehouse
Aloha all,
I have an Eaton BR meter panel mrg# MBE24L200BTS. I have been looking for a 200 amp breaker to fit it and came up with the BJ2200 breaker. Eaton assured me it will fit this panel, and will require a hold down kit, but I haven't been able to make it work. Does anyone have any experience with these two items, or even better, a pic or video of how it looks when it is installed?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think Eaton misled you. Judging from pictures of the product there's no way any 200A Eaton Breaker will fit in that box with that panelboard. Does the label say that it can take BJ type breakers?

Does the panel have feed through lugs? What are you trying to do?

(I'm assuming you're looking for feeder breaker and not a main breaker replacement.)

shaggy0420

Occupation
Not me doing it. I work at an electrical supply warehouse and one of our contractors decided to buy this meter instead of the one that comes with the factory installed breaker because of the price difference, not realizing the difficulty of getting a 200 amp breaker for it. Anyways breaker has been acquired and does fit the panel, panel cover says it will take BJ breakers and indeed it does. When i talked to Eaton though they said it would require a hold down kit. That's the real question I have. When i put the breaker in the panel it sat firm and tight, just like a hundred would. I dont really see the need for a hold down kit. Wondering if anyone has run into this.
I realize in the picture the breaker is sitting at an angle, after adjusting it sits straight as well

Attachments

• 200 amp breaker 2.jpg
    200 amp breaker 2.jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 200 amp breaker.jpg
    200 amp breaker.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 21

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Lol, I actually just dealt with this one and little while ago. (The picture of the model number look different online.) My guy just put the breaker in upside down. But I didn't think of using a hold down kit. Did they give you a part number for the hold down kit? I'm not seeing how the typical Eaton hold down kit would line up. Btw the breaker also looks too low in your picture, but maybe you also fixed that.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Can you share a picture of the label that shows BJ breakers are acceptable? Just because it fits doesn't mean its designed for it.

Good luck bending 200 amp conductors into those lugs. Also I don't believe that panel has neutral lugs that will fit 200 amp conductors.

shaggy0420

Occupation
Can you share a picture of the label that shows BJ breakers are acceptable? Just because it fits doesn't mean its designed for it.

Good luck bending 200 amp conductors into those lugs. Also I don't believe that panel has neutral lugs that will fit 200 amp conductors.
someone posted a pic of it already. yes thats what i told the contractor. even though he saved a couple hundred bucks hes gonna have a hell of a time bending those 4/0 conductors

shaggy0420

Occupation
Lol, I actually just dealt with this one and little while ago. (The picture of the model number look different online.) My guy just put the breaker in upside down. But I didn't think of using a hold down kit. Did they give you a part number for the hold down kit? I'm not seeing how the typical Eaton hold down kit would line up. Btw the breaker also looks too low in your picture, but maybe you also fixed that.
the part number for the hold down kit is BJHDS. its lined up in the picture how it should sit. the notch on the back of the breaker is sitting on the metal tracks

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Its interesting that the label does list BJ but doesn't list size of any breakers. It also does not have any neutral lugs for larger than 2/0 wire.

The panel does not list hold down devices but they would not typically be required since the breakers are not being back fed.

The label seems a little generic. It mentions that if the panel is "used as service equipment". Considering the neutral assembly is bolted to the box this panel is only listed for use as service equipment.

shaggy0420

Occupation
I have never installed that hold down kit. Fascinating. Thanks for the part number.

As long as the raised part of the breaker fits in the deadfront cutout.
Well, the contractor is saying now that the cover won't fit over the breaker. I know you said you had dealt with this breaker issue before and I'm wondering if you were able to make it work somehow