200 amp service with long run from meter to panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to build a 200 amp single phase service for a dwelling. I plan to run 4/0 Aluminum URD in parallel from a meter/main to a terminal box on the house. That is almost 200 feet. The panel is another 90 feet away.
Can I run a 3/0 copper SER cable from the terminal box to the panel? I think the number check out. Can I do that?
Does anyone have a better or less expensive solution?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Where is the meter/main that you have to run 200' to the house?
I would probably run Al all the way to the box and on to the panel.
Why are you paralleling the 4/0 URD?

IMO you are overthinking the significance of voltage drop, if this is a typical house. I may very well use single 4/0 AL for a 290 foot run. 250 MCM is about 50 cents more per foot IIRC, and will still fit in 2" pipe so that is an option too.

kwired

Electron manager
What is the load calculation of the house?

VD is load dependent. Just because you put in a 200 amp panel doesn't mean you have 200 amp of load.

Many homes have 200 amp panels anymore even if they could get by with 100 amps. If you have "all electric" then you may have a need for over 100 amps, but even then you still probably don't exceed 100 amps all that often.

200 amp service.

200 amp service.

Where is the meter/main that you have to run 200' to the house?
I would probably run Al all the way to the box and on to the panel.
Why are you paralleling the 4/0 URD?
Thanks for the reply.
The meter/main or pedestal will set 10' from a pole with a transformer per utility rules. The meter could go on the house but I still have the same distance.
I am using a voltage drop app from Southwire. When I plug in the numbers it says 4/0 AL is not big enough, 250 is not big enough, (for max 3% VD) and I would prefer to install parallel 4/0s than wrestle a bigger cable and conduit.

200 amp service.

200 amp service.

IMO you are overthinking the significance of voltage drop, if this is a typical house. I may very well use single 4/0 AL for a 290 foot run. 250 MCM is about 50 cents more per foot IIRC, and will still fit in 2" pipe so that is an option too.

I am using a Southwire voltage drop app. When I plug in the numbers I am over 3% max VD with 4/0 and 250.

200 amp service.

200 amp service.

What is the load calculation of the house?

VD is load dependent. Just because you put in a 200 amp panel doesn't mean you have 200 amp of load.

Many homes have 200 amp panels anymore even if they could get by with 100 amps. If you have "all electric" then you may have a need for over 100 amps, but even then you still probably don't exceed 100 amps all that often.

Thanks for the reply.
Maximum demand is about 160 amps. AC is larger than heating and there will be two and a half kitchens and two laundry rooms. I don't know how he plans to get it past the building department. When I use a Southwire voltage drop calculator app it tells me that 4/0 and 250 are not big enough for a max 3% VD.

Thanks for the reply.
Maximum demand is about 160 amps. AC is larger than heating and there will be two and a half kitchens and two laundry rooms. I don't know how he plans to get it past the building department. When I use a Southwire voltage drop calculator app it tells me that 4/0 and 250 are not big enough for a max 3% VD.

I would use 80 amps for my current for the calculation.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You can do what you propose but I agree with others that it's likely overkill. Not sure if you are planning direct bury o PVC (lots of good reasons to go PVC). If you want to cover yourself, do as suggested and up-size to 250 kcmil and throw an extra conduit in the ditch,. Very limited expense and in the unlikely change that you do encounter a problem, paralleling to the house would be a breeze later

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks for the reply.
The meter/main or pedestal will set 10' from a pole with a transformer per utility rules. The meter could go on the house but I still have the same distance.
I am using a voltage drop app from Southwire. When I plug in the numbers it says 4/0 AL is not big enough, 250 is not big enough, (for max 3% VD) and I would prefer to install parallel 4/0s than wrestle a bigger cable and conduit.
Unless you have a local rule you realize the 3% mentioned in NEC is in an informational note and is only a suggestion and not a requirement?

We used 250 to my house and maybe 200 feet. All electric. Absolutely no VD issues.

It fit, but we upsize the conduit after that pull. Cold, wet, and by hand, it was a miserable job.

It's a 200 foot run to my house too. Long story short, there's temp thing running the house right now, but when I pull the new run, I haven't yet decided if ill go 4/0 or 250. Elec dryer, two elec h2O tanks, air source heat pump, a few kw of elec heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.