200 amp Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: 200 amp Service

Panelboard. A single panel or group of panel units designed for assembly in the form of a single panel, including buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet or cutout box placed in or against a wall, partition, or other support; and accessible only from the front.
Seems kind of limited.

[ March 29, 2004, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

ryan_618

Originally posted by bennie:
The definition of "panelboard" is why there is no such thing as a sub-panel.
The reason there is no such thing as a subpanel is because there is no need to define every panel. You either have service equipment or you do not have service equipment. No definition is neccassary. Also, I agree with Bob's highliting of the definition.

Also, if you call a set of panels that are wired together through feed through lugs one panel, how do you get around 408.15? I have installed many feedthroughs, but I didn't consider it an 84 circuit panel. I considered it just what it is: 2 panels wired together.

[ March 29, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

Ed MacLaren

The definition of "panelboard" is why there is no such thing as a sub-panel.
I don't quite understand why you are opposed to the use of the term "sub-panel".

I agree that there is no technical difference between a "service" panel and a "sub" panel.

The term "sub-panel" has evolved as a convenient abbreviation for the much longer term, "panel that is supplied by a feeder from another panel".

Most of us routinely use the term "sub-contractor" and recognize exactly what is meant.

Ed

charlie

IMO 310.15(B)(6) also states, "The feeder conductors to a dwelling unit shall not be required to be larger than their service-entrance conductors." Wouldn't that mean that if you used 2/0 Cu. for the service entrance conductors, you could use 2/0 Cu. for the feeder conductors and place the distribution panelboard in the basement? The main disconnecting means would be the disconnecting means for the distribution panelboard it the main were lockable. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.