2002 680.24(C)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tstern

680.24(C) states that the common bonding grid wire shall be #8 AWG solid copper in swimming pools.
Why does it have to be SOLID and not stranded?

mdshunk

Re: 2002 680.24(C)

If I had to guess, I'd guess that corrosion could work on all the strands at the same time in stranded wire. Corrosion would have to work only from the outside surface on a solid conductor. It would seem from that assessment that a stranded conductor would rot off before a solid one would. That's my best guess anyhow. If you were looking for "the real answer", sorry if my guessing frustrated you.

mc5w

Re: 2002 680.24(C)

One of the problems with stranded wire including copper wire is that in some situations not all of the wire strands are conducting. Over time copper oxidizes causing wire strands to drop out of the circuit and then the wire connection eventually burns. This is the electrical equivalent of a water pipe that is clogged up with iron bacteria. There is a reason why there are 2 antioxidant compounds that are formulated for use only with copper wire and brass conduit threads. I have some electrical systems where they have excessive voltage drop when running a welder or air compressor because old age has caused 2/3 or even 3/4 of the wire strands to drop out of the circuit.

In the case of solid copper wire there is only 1 wire strand that can drop out of the circuit. It either works or it does not. A solid wire is also more likely to be cleaned with sandpaper and treated with antioxidant if the electrician cares about durability.

Also, it is very hard to design a copper wire only terminal in this size range that will grip all of the strands of stranded wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.