2005 CD version of NEC or of NEC Handbook - which is bet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx2step

I plan to purchase the CD version of either the 2005 NEC or of the 2005 NEC Handbook. Prior to this, I've used the book version of each through a number of code cycles -- but I've never used a CD version. I plan to use it on my laptop.

NEC CD is $95
NEC Handbook CD is $170
Price really isn't the issue -- the issue is content, features and usability. Which is better?

Are the search engines the same?

How good are the search engines? Can you buy a better independent, stand-alone search engine that would work on them?

In the handbook version, can you search just the code, excluding all of the commentary language?

Can you then also search both the code and the commentary?

In the handbook version, can you view, copy & print just the 2005 code by itself (without the commentary)?

The handbook version also includes the 2002 and the 1999 code.

What are the pros and cons of the 2005 NEC version versus the NEC Handbook version?

Which version do you guys recommend? Any other suggestions?

redfish

Re: 2005 CD version of NEC or of NEC Handbook - which is bet

2005 Handbook, you get the best of both worlds, plus the 99, 02, and 05 NEC in PDF. :)
In the handbook version, can you view, copy & print just the 2005 code by itself (without the commentary)?
Yes.

[ August 25, 2005, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: redfish ]

jwelectric

Originally posted by redfish:
2005 Handbook, you get the best of both worlds, plus the 99, 02, and 05 NEC in PDF. :)
Yes.
I have both CDs but I use the Handbook most

ryan_618

I use the NEC (not handbook) when I teach. I used the 2002 NECH, but when I bought the 2005, I just bought the NEC. The only reason is that I use the CD when I teach, so that me and the audience can be on the same page together. I hate trying to point out a rule and having to sift through commentary when all I want is the code rule.

For private use, I have nothing against the handbook, and I do find the commentary helpful at times. It just doesn't fit my needs as well as the ENC does. :)

jwelectric

As Ryan has pointed out that using the NEC is very helpful in a classroom I also use the Handbook in the classroom. I find that the illustrations are very helpful.

I also like using the tables while discussing things such as wire size, box fill or motor amps.

Either one is helpful when coming to quoting the sections. Nothing beats a quick copy and paste.
:)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I keep the softcover NEC in the truck.

I keep the electronic NECH on the desktop. I've used the electronic NECH for three code cycles now. I like it a lot.

tx2step

Ryan, in another thread you said that you liked the search engine in the 2002 NEC better than the one in the 2005. I don't have the 2002, so I guess I'll just have to tough it out with the 2005 version. :)

[ August 25, 2005, 11:22 PM: Message edited by: tx2step ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

I have the 2005 NECH CD, and the NEC softcover.

I still like using a book over electronic, just like turning pages I guess.

Roger

ryan_618

Originally posted by tx2step:
Ryan, in another thread you said that you liked the search engine in the 2002 NEC better than the one in the 2005. I don't have the 2002, so I guess I'll just have to tough it out with the 2005 version. :(

Honestly, if you never used the 2002, you will like the 2005...it really is a good search engine. It's just not as fast as the 2002.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

One of the differences is that you can't install the NEC to your hard drive without some type of add on program. You need the CD to run the program. The NECH can be installed to the hard drive. The NFPA has no plans to produce a CD that can be installed to the hard drive.
Don

jwelectric

I have both the NEC and the Handbook on my lap top. I can use the NEC on my lap top without the CD but I must have it for my desktop at school and in my office here at home. I use the Handbook at these two places.

The Handbook has a search almost like the 2002 where the NEC must be taken back to the home page to go to another article. I love them both and I am thinking about ordering several more copies just to help out the National Fire Protection Association with their expenses.

Dell computer is building a big plant up the road from me and they will be putting a bunch of my neighbors to work. Maybe I should order a few computers to load these CDs in and help out a lot of people at once.

All of these thoughts have come from this
thread.
:D

ryan_618

Don, the E-mail I recieved from the NFPA stated that with the NECH you could install it on the hard disk of up to two machines, no more.

I have no problem with that, but I thought it would be worth mentioning.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Ryan,
Yes, the NFPA permits the CD handbook to be installed on two computers, but the software for the CD NEC is written to prevent its installation to a hard drive, you need to have the CD in the drive on most computers to use the CD version of the NEC. This was intentional on the part of the NFPA and they have no plans to change this.
I really have no use for the handbook, but that was the onlyway that I could get the NEC installled on my computer.

tx2step

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
I really have no use for the handbook, but that was the onlyway that I could get the NEC installled on my computer.
Don -- What is it that you don't like about the NEC handbook?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

tx2step,
Don -- What is it that you don't like about the NEC handbook?
I just don't have any use for the commentary. It is only opinion and no more valid than my opinion. If I want to know what the code means, I go to the source, the ROPs and ROCs.
Don

tx2step

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
If I want to know what the code means, I go to the source, the ROPs and ROCs.
Don
How do you do that? I probably should know this already, but I don't know where to look or how to find that information.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

tx2step,
The ROP and ROC for the 2005 code are available here. I'm not sure about previous editions. These documents are also available in hard copy form free to anyone who submits a proposal or makes a comment. My set goes back to the 84 code.
Don

tx2step

Don, Thanks for the link and the info. I'll start trying to figure out how to use it as soon as I have some spare time.

Concerning the handbook, with my current level of understanding of the code, I usually find the commentary enlightening -- I need the help that it provides. They know a lot more than I do (at this stage). I hope to remedy that eventually, though. :)

Thanks to all who shared their experience and views! Based on what everyone has said, I'll go with the Handbook version of the CD. Time to whip out the old credit card!

I'll do a complete install on my laptop hard drive. Does anyone have any tips concerning how to use the program most effectively? Any good "search" tips, etc.?

Status
Not open for further replies.