2008 Article 780 - no longer there

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobTh

While working with my staff, they are studying for thier Masters exam. We noticed in the 2008 NEC, that Art 780 was missing. While being referenced in the Index it truely is no longer in the Code book. NFPA has stated that due to lack of use 780 was removed from the 08 Code book. The Index was not caught so still references 780.

480sparky

While working with my staff, they are studying for thier Masters exam. We noticed in the 2008 NEC, that Art 780 was missing. While being referenced in the Index it truely is no longer in the Code book. NFPA has stated that due to lack of use 780 was removed from the 08 Code book. The Index was not caught so still references 780.

It also shows up in 240.15(C), T250.3, and 300.15(M)......:cool:

480sparky

What ever happened to the "We will serve no wine before it's time" concept? Not a very thorough code review to publish an edition with several references to a non-existent Article. :-?:smile:

It's interesting in the fact that the NEC is available electronically. From the NFPA, no less! Any word or phrase can be instantly located in a matter of seconds, and all instances can be found.

Wouldn't take someone very long for the process of "Hey, we're deleting Article 780. Type it into the search box and find all the references to it and print them out for us to edit".

A TCC could have done that during afternoon break.

I think I have my first proposal for the '11.
Emoticon___High_Five.gif

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
...I think I have my first proposal for the '11.
Emoticon___High_Five.gif
You can probably do it right now as an editorial errata. Simply send it in a letter addressed to the Standards Council and they will usually direct staff to publish it in an errata document and update later printings.

480sparky

You can probably do it right now as an editorial errata. Simply send it in a letter addressed to the Standards Council and they will usually direct staff to publish it in an errata document and update later printings.

But, but.... I want my name in The book!:smile:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This is the first time I can recall that an article was deleted.
But is not NM-S the cable that was developed for use in Art 780? This is before my time as an electrician.

charlie

Since 'smart house' wiring is no longer done in the manner that Article 780 was developed for, it was removed. A couple of cycles or so before that, type MN-S cable was moved to Article 334. We deleted 780 and NFPA staff was to fix the references. Panel 7, not Panel 10, now is responsible for NM-s cable. The only Article that Panel 10 has purview over is 240. :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.