200A " help"

Status
Not open for further replies.

stu

200A. disc. feeding 3phase /42 circuit 200A panel/ what is the biggest SUB-panel i can come out of the 200a with...being fed with a 3 pole breaker from that panel..what the code ref,, and procedure...

[ August 31, 2005, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: stu ]

mdshunk

Re: 200A " help"

You can have a million amp rated sub panel connected to a 200 amp service panel if that pleases you. The limiting factor is the amount of load you intend to serve with the proposed subpanel.

[ August 31, 2005, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: mdshunk ]

hurk27

Depends on where you feed it from.
Install a 320 meter with double lugs and hit another disconnect next to one that's there and run another 200/42 space panel.

Other then that the only thing that code Say's is that the calculated load can't exceed the service conductors. So how much load is on the existing panel and we will tell you how much more load can be added. But you should know that. There is no code that says I can't feed another 200 amp panel from the existing one.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

If your 200 amp panel is a standard panelboard/loadcenter (not I-line gear/panelboard, etc), I believe you will find a 3 pole 100 is the largest branch breaker available ); therfore, if you wish to feed it as you describe, you would most likely set a 100 amp MLO panel (loadcenter)..with neutral and ground seperation.
There are other ways to accomplish the same thing (sub-feed lugs, etc),but I believe this might be considered "standard"

as for code reference...NEC lol..I guess 240-20, 21 would be the primary guide. (edited for code reference)

[ September 01, 2005, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: augie47 ]

codeunderstanding

If you did put up the 320 amp double lugged meter and you put the two 200 amp disconnects, wouldnt the lateral to the meter have to be sized to a 400 amp service?

james wuebker

augie47, you can put a large breaker than 100 amp in that panel. I know they make a 125 amp but it takes 6 spaces. Square D
Jim

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

jim:\
a few years ago, if my ole brain is working,
QO only went thru 2 pole 125, 3 pole 100, but I now see that have cataloged larger ones...hard to keep up.,.thanks for pointing it out to me...stu still might want to chek availability for his particular brand panel.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I have a few 125a breakers that I believe are Siemens/Murray brand. They look like any other 2-pole plug-ins.

mdshunk

Originally posted by augie47:
but I now see that have cataloged larger ones...hard to keep up.
You got that right. I was looking that stuff up now in the catalog, and I see that they even have a thing that pops in a couple QO spaces and it's just a set of lugs with no breaker handle. That might come in handy some day. That sorta makes any QO panel like a panel with feed through lugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.