200a main bkr in a 150a panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

bth0mas20

Can I replace a 150a main breaker square d homeline breaker with a 200a main breaker to give that panel a 200a rating. The panel installed from construction is a 150a. Their is 4/0 wire feeding this panel so Im trying to figure out if the panels buss bar will support a 200a breaker and will it fit?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I suspect that the guts for the 150 amp panel is the same as a 200 amp panel. Check the info on the door of the panel as to what the rating of the panel is.

I suspect you may be voiding the listing but if it is rated 200 amps then why not.

bth0mas20

I feel like they probaly manufacture the same panel and just either put a 150 or a 200 in it at the factory. They both have a arc rating of 22k. It may be like getting a chevy silverado with a 5.3 l or a 4.8l. Everything is the same except the engine.

Last edited:

220/221

I would do it in a heartbeat. They are not going to manufacture 150A bus.

For that matter, they are not going to manufacture 125A bus. Only the lugs are smaller in a 125A panel.

Logic says that the same breakers are used so the bus dimensions are the same which means the current capacity is the same.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
According to the Square D Digest, Homeline panels with convertible mains are "convertible to Main Lugs or Lower Amperage Main Circuit Breaker".

Status
Not open for further replies.