200amp pedestal - Customer Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_NM

I recently built and had pass inspection a 200a loop with a RT can having a 200 integral main and 16 blanks (used one for the requisit GFI outlet) near the main road in the country. The customer changed her mind and now wants the residence 420 feet from the meter via underground, no problem so far. But if I run 350mcm (for that distance) what is the best way to connect the 350mcm to the existing can ? There are no "lugs" on the main just a buss. Do I need another breaker (200a) and reduce the 350 to 4/0 to connect to that breaker or is there a "legal" way to lug the 350 to the buss... or ? Thanks !

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
You will probally have to change the disconnect to one that has 200 amp sub feed lugs at the end of the buss, very commonly used for mobile homes. As for the 350kcmil, rent a compression tool and use reducers to fit the 200 amp lugs.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sparky, welocme to the forum! :smile:

Points to ponder, or at least compare overall costs:

Get the utility to run a primary line (overhead or underground) to a transformer closer to the house.

A pair of transformers to boost in-between voltage to permit a smaller conductor size for the feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.