2011 laws requiring TR receptacles and failure to grandfather ALU wired homes

Status
Not open for further replies.

ztoker

I'd love to see an update to the law requiring TR receptacles in new applications to grandfather in the use of R receptacles as NONE of the leading manfuacturers of receptacles offer ALU rated TR receptacles, and NONE plan to offer them going forward. this should be of major cocnern for the industry as individuals buying these homes don't understand the risks involved in using non ALU rated devices.

It seems as though the legislators were confused between protecting children from zapping themselves and forgetting that houses containing ALU when miswired are 55 times more likely to burn down (as I recall from CPSC website).

Manufacturers want to distance themselves from the ALU wire, and are not supporting the standard. these houses are at an age where they are overdue for remodel and if done improperly, "do it yourselfers" and cornercutting will lead to an increased risk of fire just because some unsuspecting unknowledgable guy wants to update his switches/outlets to decora variety.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
copper/ aluminum devices are not the only alternative. Copalum crimp method connections are a means of fixing the connection with copper devices. You could write a proposal however it would not be accepted- if at all- til the 2017 code.

John120/240

I'd love to see an update to the law requiring TR receptacles in new applications to grandfather in the use of R receptacles as NONE of the leading manfuacturers of receptacles offer ALU rated TR receptacles, and NONE plan to offer them going forward. this should be of major cocnern for the industry as individuals buying these homes don't understand the risks involved in using non ALU rated devices.

It seems as though the legislators were confused between protecting children from zapping themselves and forgetting that houses containing ALU when miswired are 55 times more likely to burn down (as I recall from CPSC website).

Manufacturers want to distance themselves from the ALU wire, and are not supporting the standard. these houses are at an age where they are overdue for remodel and if done improperly, "do it yourselfers" and cornercutting will lead to an increased risk of fire just because some unsuspecting unknowledgable guy wants to update his switches/outlets to decora variety.

It is not practicle for device manufacturers to make Tamper Resisant aluminum rated devices.

There is just not enough money to be made. As Dennis stated there are other ways to connect

aluminum wire to devices. Listed crimps or listed wire nuts. In another thread two prong

tamper resisant recptacles were wanted. Not gonna happen

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Interesting! I wonder how this would play out in court?:p

You want me to install, by law, a product that is not available?:rant:

Bet you would not have to install TR.

Status
Not open for further replies.