2014 250.24 (C)(3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronmath

"Delta-Connected Service. The grounded conductor of a 3-phase, 3-wire delta service shall have an ampacity not less than that of the ungrounded conductors."

What grounded conductor are they referring to in a 3-phase, 3 wire delta service?

We have a current 3-phase, 3-wire delta service to a building. I understand that a ground fault on any single phase creates a corner grounded system, but doesn't that also create objectionable current? How is this handled if at all since a single phase ground fault would not trip any breakers?

Thanks,

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There are such animals as a 3 phase, 3 wire, corner grounded delta where one phase is intentionally grounded (used to be real popular with E I Dupont facilities)
I can't imagine why one would want that phase to be reduced anyway, but apparently it was previously installed that way.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
That is the reason that an ungrounded delta supply (whether service or SDS) is required to have a ground detector. That detector will not cause a trip but will instead alert you to find and correct the fault before a second fault disables the system.
No fault current (other than capacitive) will flow as a result of the first fault, unless you count the currents flowing in the detector itself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.