2017 AFCI Protection Requirements in Guest Rooms and Guest Suites

Status
Not open for further replies.

vw55

210.12 (C) adds Guest Rooms and Guest Suites to areas where AFCI protection required. It does not say new construction only, but 406.4(D) which addresses replacement devices, does not include 210.12(C) in the listing where AFCI protection is required when replacing devices only stating that areas in 210.12 (A) and (B) require such protection.

My question is whether or not the 2017 code only requires AFCI protection in Guest Rooms and Guest Suites in new construction?

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
2020 NEC 406.4 includes 210.12(C). And as far as 210.12 goes, if you have an old house with a Guest Room then you wouldn't need it unless you are modifying the circuits in a way stated by 210.12(D). If you add a Guest Room... then yes, you would need it.

david

210.12 (C) adds Guest Rooms and Guest Suites to areas where AFCI protection required. It does not say new construction only, but 406.4(D) which addresses replacement devices, does not include 210.12(C) in the listing where AFCI protection is required when replacing devices only stating that areas in 210.12 (A) and (B) require such protection.

My question is whether or not the 2017 code only requires AFCI protection in Guest Rooms and Guest Suites in new construction?
I don't have 2017 in front of me but you need to look at 210.18

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
I think what David meant is 210.17 formally 210.18 which states if permanent provisions for cooking is a available in guest suites then all the dwelling unit provisions come into play

vw55

2020 NEC 406.4 includes 210.12(C). And as far as 210.12 goes, if you have an old house with a Guest Room then you wouldn't need it unless you are modifying the circuits in a way stated by 210.12(D). If you add a Guest Room... then yes, you would need it.
I understand that they've clarified in the 2020 NEC, but for jurisdictions not yet adopting that revision, how does a design professional approach standard guest rooms and guest suites (that do not have permanent cooking facilities) and comply with 2017 NEC requirements for renovation work?

vw55

What Rock86 said is same in 2017
The 2017 NEC does not include 210.12(C) in 406.4. That's what's raised the issue and caused the confusion. The distinction is being made between new construction (210.12(C)) and renovation work (406.4(D)). Is renovation work exempt from AFCI requirements?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
They really broke the code when they went down the "replacement" path. Prior to the "replacement rules", I had just assumed if I did something, even as simple as device replacement, that I had to comply with the currently adopted code for the area. Now based on the specific "replacement rules" I assume that compliance with the current code is required, only in those cases where the code specifically tells me that.

Under the 17 code, replacement of a receptacle in a guest room or suite does not trigger the AFCI requirement. However if the branch circuit conductors are being replaced or extended more than 6', the main rule in 210.12 will require AFCI protection.

JGinIndy

Occupation
Retired Electrician currently County Inspector
The 2017 NEC does not include 210.12(C) in 406.4. That's what's raised the issue and caused the confusion. The distinction is being made between new construction (210.12(C)) and renovation work (406.4(D)). Is renovation work exempt from AFCI requirements?
Sorry vw I didn’t look at 406 before replying I just assumed no excuse

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
In my opinion, by 2017 210.12&406.4... if you renovate a Guest Room and you modify a circuit as described in 210.12 then yes AFCI is still required. The Guest Room by the view of 2017 should be considered part of the dwelling unit.

If you replace a receptacle without modifying the circuit, then you wouldn't be required to provide AFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.