2017 NEC 210.52(E)(1) - Existing Single Family Outdoor Unit

Chris Yan

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi All,

I've a project of renovating an existing single family house. The scope of work is only renovating inside of the building and adding/changing nothing outside. However, the existing building doesn't have an outdoor outlet at the front entrance of the building. Should I apply NEC 210.52(E)(1) to this situation or I can leave as it was since no work will be needed for exterior?

Thanks All,

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
IMO, if the walls are being opened up in the area where the outside receptacle should be, then you should add it. Depending on the local requirements, if walls/ceilings are open, some areas require existing be brought up to current code.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Our building Codes note that if more than 50% of the structure is being renovated then the entire structure is required to be brought up to current Codes so, here, you would need to add the required receptacles.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here, if 50% or more by floor area is renovated, the entire structure must be brought to present codes.

What Augie said. :)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
In my experience the city inspector probably wouldn't ask for it but there are no guarantees. I agree with Little Bill that the easier it would be to do, the more prudent to just do it. And the more likely it will get called out.

These sort of 'grandfathering' questions are usually entirely up to the AHJ and not addressed in the electrical code. If there is a rule it will be in a state or local code like Dennis mentioned.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In my experience the city inspector probably wouldn't ask for it but there are no guarantees. I agree with Little Bill that the easier it would be to do, the more prudent to just do it. And the more likely it will get called out.

These sort of 'grandfathering' questions are usually entirely up to the AHJ and not addressed in the electrical code. If there is a rule it will be in a state or local code like Dennis mentioned.
I can see how you might confuse Dennis with Augie as they are both old! :D

Chris Yan

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thanks All, The renovation is just changing lighting fixture, replace old outlets with new ones and old air handler with new air handler. I think it's less than 50% of the total area!