2018 IECC confusion - manual light reduction controls

devin_b

New User
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a quick clarification item for the 2018 IECC that I could use a pointer on.
I am working on an office renovation project in Illinois and I am having trouble understanding where manual light reduction controls are required.
IECC 2018, C405.2.2.2 states that "Spaces required to have light-reduction controls shall have a manual control that allows the occupant to reduce the lighting load."
But what exactly is the definition of a "space required to have light reduction controls?"
Does having an occupancy sensor in the space EXCLUDE that space from needing manual dimming?
If a space has an occupancy sensor (turn off after 20 mins), is it code compliant to NOT have manual dimming, and instead only have a toggle switch, for example
Any tips in the right direction would be very helpful here. Our client wants to save money by going for a barebones lighting controls solution and I need to tell them whether or not dimming will be REQUIRED, as in, they need to run 0-10v to the wall dimmers and can't just use single pole switches w/ line voltage occupancy sensors

RookiEE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Kind late but I will reply,
C405.2.2.2 is under C405.2 Time Switch Controls, and at the beginning of C405.2.2.1 it says lighting reduction is required for time switch controls. Yes, you are right that occupancy sensor exclude from needing lighting reduction.